Dane!

CaleHoopes

Wow, I toally missed this thread. Dane - I watched the KOMO4 piece, thank you so much for being candid about this and bringing it to the forefront. I'm getting my two boys vacinated now! I've seen HPV in the news but never paid much attention, I am now. I wish you the very best in getting through this.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. It really means a lot to me. And truly something I never expected from either side, mine or yours. Just the way I had always thought until recently.

"How is it going?"

This is bleak you may not want to read it. I wouldn't have 5 months ago.

Cancer as you may have heard is an ugly disease. It has killed family members and over half the dogs I have had in my life. I hated it then.

Now I know it a little better. Hate isn't the right descriptor.

I've done what even I condsidered a few things that were hard physically....but nothing even remotely compared to the first two rounds of chemo. I don't say that to play the tough guy because I definaly am not tough. 80 year old women come through this easier than I have. Both Chemo rounds have brought me to my knees, shattered me physically and mentally, turning me into a wimpering puking hull. In the middle of chemo I cry like baby daily. I am now down 20% of my body mass and will likely bottom out at a 25%+ loss in less than 12 weeks. Tough? No one knows how tough they really are until they get this hammered. I am not tough. Far from it.

Like the amazing support offered here, neighbors have mowed my lawn, driven me to daily radiation treatments and customers has stopped worring about deliveries. It has helped...a lot. I think each and every one of you.

Today I have 8 rounds of daily radiation left and 1 round of Chemo. I am far enough away from the last round of chemo I can talk, write and walk and feel pretty good...thankfully. It goes literally day by day what I can do. No reason that I can see. I will likely be sick a full 21 days this round of chemo (starts Monday) and another full month after that to get a good start on my recovery and literally learn how to swallow and eat again.

Up side is I'll be a strong and light weight climbing fool if I ever decide to risk my fragile life again (likely) and my wife lets me out of the house :). But this experience and the real ability of how to suffer for days on end isn't something I hope to easily forget.

Hopefully I learn something profound from this....other wise it is a huge waste.

Thanks again to everyone...make sure to say hi next time we meet in the mtns!

• 2 weeks later...

Been thinking about you. Recently saw a license plate holder that made me visualize at least a couple things:

I LOVE MY GREAT DANE

Sorry for the corniness.

Even with your graphic, detailed description, I know I can't fully imagine the harshness. Stay strong!