Dane!

CaleHoopes

...Anyone, man or woman with more than one sexual partner is at a higher risk. The higher the number the higher the risk. (including the sheep obviously Sobo and Ivan are gonna die and thankfully I am not contagious ;)

:lmao: Nice to see you haven't lost your sense of humor over this, Dane.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn it, Dane! Tough news to hear.

You’ve always been an inspiration. Not just to me, but to others I know, dating back to all of us who hung out at Minne and Dishman, and were led up to Chimney Rock and elsewhere. You were the first good climber I knew that wasn’t intimidating, welcomed me to the life, and let me know what was possible. If not for you I may not have spent thousands of days on rock and steep stuff, although I eventually found it on my own, too. You continue to influence presently, for me, primarily through your words here and with Cold Thistle—one of the best climbing blogs out there.

Thank you for being so open about this; hope you don’t mind me passing this on. Your intelligence, courage, and passion have always been evident in your climbing, and other aspects of life I’ve seen you involved with. Glad they’re serving you well in this battle. You’re right: you have to be your own advocate, especially in regard to our health system. I know first-hand cancer can be incredibly hard to diagnose. At least as hard is how to fight it. Even with your lack of early diagnosis, we do have one of the best medical communities in the world in the Seattle area.

I can see the effects of the chemo and Pred on you, but you look strong. May you beat this bastard. My dad recently beat oral cancer, and I know you can too.

My best to you, Friend.

Steve Reynolds

Damn, been buried so missed this until now. Sorry to hear this news as I'm sure you were. We all try to persevere as climbers and to be optimistic so I can see how vague clues could be easily overlooked in the beginning. I would imagine early on it's not easy to diagnose either which is tough as well.

As someone with a child off in college, I'm glad the vaccines are now available even if they only hit part of the HPV spectrum - some protection is better than none. Best wishes to you in your fight and thanks for bringing it all to light so we have the chance to take better we care of ourselves.

Hang tough...

Ditto Pindude's comments. I too was one of those Spokane climbers who appreciated your commitment to the local climbing scene, especially when I was first starting out. Now I read your stuff to see what the cutting edge is doing.

What's with Americans avoiding vaccinations for preventable, ugly diseases? Where is all the misinformation coming from? Who is paying to push that crap? Who benefits?

Edited by mccallboater

I personally blame Al-Qaeda.

Al-Qaeda? I have a few incredibly beautiful suspects on my list and none of them Thai hookers. No one named Al-Qaeda or McCallboater though :) Unless someone wasn't telling me the truth :rolleyes:

Muslims don't eat pork, so it couldn't have been them. ;)

Muslims don't eat pork, so it couldn't have been them. ;)

Hey I have read the Quran, nothing in there about fish tacos.

But just to be clear here...supposedly I was infected in my early 20s. And I can tell you up front my taste for fish tacos took a decade or so past that to develope. So I call BS on the cause or at least the timing. My guess is there is a lot more the medical world doesn't know about all this than they do know.

It's called practicing medicine for a real reason.

I wish you well Dane, hang it there. I've thanked you before for your informative postings and patience with my, and other's, less informed questions. And big thanks for the education lesson. Anyone with kids should be prompted into a vaccine discssion with their family physician. Raising one for you :brew: and hope to meet you in person on some ice flow soon.

• 3 weeks later...