"Badass Muthafuckerin at its Best"

Pete_H

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Pete! Junior was indeed a badass muthafucka. I was lucky to see him play live twice while he was around, once in Philly, I was only 18, and I couldn't help thinking I was witnessing a legend. I felt like the world had just let me in on a secret.

The second time, I saw him at the Fine Arts auditorium at the University of Utah, which is a dry campus. My buddy and I snuck beer into the theater and sat in the front row raising our bottles to a baaaaad man. We were the only people there drinking so, at the end of the show, the bathroom was empty when my buddy and I were pushing each around and talking shit when Junior limped in with his cane and he just laughed this low, slow laugh.

Long live Junior Kimbrough

Also, Junior and RL Burnside had a long-standing rivalry/friendhip with juke joints right down the road from each other. I remember reading stories about them have life-long fueds over women and booze. They found friendship in old age when Fat Possum "discovered" juke joint blues and brought it on tour for the masses in the early 90's.

They found friendship in old age when Fat Possum "discovered" juke joint blues and brought it on tour for the masses in the early 90's.

I saw RL at the Yale in 1994? and many free drinks later there was a fight in the parking lot between two cougars over who was going to take me home. Rawr.

They found friendship in old age when Fat Possum "discovered" juke joint blues and brought it on tour for the masses in the early 90's.

I saw RL at the Yale in 1994? and many free drinks later there was a fight in the parking lot between two cougars over who was going to take me home. Rawr.

Sounds like an RL show. My friend Maya forced here way into his tour trailer when she was wasted once. The Roadies were trying to hold her back and she was all, "no, no, RL HAS to see me" She finally made her way in, sat down, and had a long conversation she doesn't remember with him.