happy st crispin's day...

ivan

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a great movie, one of the more cherished ones in my VHS/DVD cache. That St. Crispin Day speech scene before the Battle of Agincourt is so freak'n uplifting it's ludicrous. And then the English went out and beat the livin' shite out of the Frogs... :)

That's a great movie, one of the more cherished ones in my VHS/DVD cache. That St. Crispin Day speech scene before the Battle of Agincourt is so freak'n uplifting it's ludicrous. And then the English went out and beat the livin' shite out of the Frogs... :)

if you're interested in the battle i'd recommend reading john keegan's "face of battle" - prior to reading that all i knew was the play which, to say the least, was a bit biased :) my favorite part shakespeare "forgot" was when henry ordered the execution of all the french captives in order to hasten the final french line to either attack or leave the field :grin:

my favorite part shakespeare "forgot" was when henry ordered the execution of all the french captives in order to hasten the final french line to either attack or leave the field :grin:
Well, King Harry knew his diplomacy pretty well, didn't he...? ;)

With your marking of this day, ivan, I do believe that tonight I shall break forth a flagon of my finest red and seat myself before the almighty glowing box and feast mine eyes again upon this chronicle...

And then the English went out and beat the livin' shite out of the Frogs... :)

actually the english pretty much jsut sat still and let the "confident and overlusty french" surge uncontrollably at them, to the point where the french guys up front had no room to fight and became so terrified all they could think to do was surrender :)

you'll notice the Bard DID include the murder of teh boys in the english camp, and in the anti-catholic atmosphere of the 16th century, blamed the whole aggressive english war on the scheming papists :rawk:

you'll notice the Bard DID include the murder of teh boys in the english camp...
"Kill the boys and the luggage!!?? 'Tis expressly against the law of arms! 'Tis as arrant a piece of knavery, mark you now, as can be offered; in your conscience, now, is it not?"

you'll notice the Bard DID include the murder of teh boys in the english camp...
"Kill the boys and the luggage!!?? 'Tis expressly against the law of arms! 'Tis as arrant a piece of knavery, mark you now, as can be offered; in your conscience, now, is it not?"

do YOU wear the leak in your cap on st davies' day? :)

do YOU wear the leak leek in your cap on st davies' day? :)

Aye, were I an honest man.

And pray, note that I fixed it for you, look you now. :)

Seems quite the day for great battles - in addition to Agincourt it seems Balaklava (Charge of the Light Brigade) and Leyte Gulf (which has inspired no great literature that I'm aware of) also were the sites of St Crispian's Day "observances" over the years.

yeah, reckon the brits can't be quiiiite as proud as the former and the later was, in the tradition of modern war, a far more protracted concern lasting days n' days

still, i can recite "the charge of the light brigade" if ya want, and there is an irony in seeing the brits being dumbfucks there in 1854 in the very same tradition as the frogs in 1415 :)

Except maybe by the whelp in the pink top...

Start was great and it went right downhill and stayed there. WFHELL?

Indeed. Beckey would NOT have approved. :tdown:

King Henry V and Fred Beckey, the arbiters of all that is right and good in film and babe-dom. :)

• 11 months later...
Also on St Crispian's day: The Bolsheviks captured the Winter Palace, and how can we not include the US Marines' conquest of Grenada? Epic, historic battles both. Again, the latter seems not to have inspired any great literature, sadly.

I sail kayaked to Grenada from Trinidad. There's a strong, 5 knot current on the south side that's a bitch to cross - takes hours. Turns out the US dropped a SEAL team into it - they never found them.

The 'threatened medical student's' Ronny supposedly went in 'to rescue' were hard to find - our forces looked for hours. Hogtied in some basement? They were partying on the beach.

Gotta love the Toy Wars of the 80s! An idyllic time when kicking the ass of some of the world's tiniest nations was enough to re-awaken American pride. When pint sized wars were short, sweet, cheap, and won. Reagan knew the value of bluster wisely kept it at HO scale. Both sides recognized that the Great Game was just that and nothing more. Ketchup was a vegetable, people were only born once, and it was all good, clean fun.

Edited by tvashtarkatena