allthumbs

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

You say you are for lots of government regulations against "pollution". Are you prepared for the lack of choice, lack of freedom, and increase in taxes that this will lead to when the government declares that they are the only ones who can administer such laws? If you are, that is fine; send them extra money now.

Yes, I would be willing to sacrifice if it meant making the world nicer for my children. I will be happily sending in my extra money when our government actually enacts policies to protect the environment instead of actively seeking to tear down such protections.

quote:

You are mixing two issues, Chuck, Market and Property. Your neighbor fell under the Property issue; cars is a market issue.

Sorry, but I see this as another dodge. Cars is not the issue. The air we breathe is the issue.

Government legislation succeeded in helping the clean air issue. It is currently hamstrung by the SUV loophole.

"Sorry, but I see this as another dodge. Cars is not the issue."

interesting how much you see as a dodge, when you will not discuss how your habits contrast to those you don't like the behavior of.

such as traveling places you do not absolutely need to go, and supporting mining and drilling that creates the gear you use to do, what you do not need to do.

This is the largest dodge there is, claiming others desires are not necessary ones while ignoring yours aren't either.

[ 10-23-2002, 04:22 PM: Message edited by: MtnGoat ]

well, there's been lots of talk about who does and doesn't "need" a particular kind of car, who does and doesn't "need" to commute in a particular way, etc.

I take this as indicating "need" does not recognize that personal choices are sufficient to justify same. If ones arbitrary personal desires cannot validate need, then the arbitrary choice to waste resources and pollute traveling to climb is hardly valid.

quote:

Originally posted by MtnGoat:

hey doc, did you ever see my response on how to a) implement national care without including those who wish to opt out, and b) how it's possible for folks to use differing programs? check the other thread.

Goat, a) yes; b) yes. It seemed logical enough. Getting people to vote for things that apply so selectively would probably take a major reprogramming of the Amerikan brain, but it sounds nice.

Sorry Mountain Goat. I really don't see what your point is about the fact that I do some polluting. I have been dodging you as this issue, and others you have brought up, seem tangential to what I am railing about. I was attempting to focus/waste all my time on the specific issue of why the desires of a few moneymaking polluters get equal time with everyone and their children who are forced to breathe and drink their detritus. I'm wasting enough time here as it is without having to think up a response to every one of your ceaseless jabs over minutia.

But since you seem so hung up on this I will relent. Just this once.

quote:

This is the largest dodge there is, claiming others desires are not necessary ones while ignoring yours aren't either.

AFAICT you're argument is that I can't complain about others polluting because I pollute myself. No scale of degradation is taken into account. Can this be correct? Are you're saying that the only way I can complain about, for instance, Iraq lighting fire to Kuwaiti oil wells and causing an ecological disaster, is if I first commit suicide and dispose of myself properly?!

Sorry but this is the argument that I am gleaning from your posts. I find this argument incomprehensibly stupid. That is why I have not responded earlier.

I feel you must take scale into account. I do not find my pleasure trips to the Cascades to be on an equal scale to an auto industry that markets inefficient automobiles to thousands of people just because they can.

I hope this answers your question. This is how I feel it is OK to continue to live and create methane emissions while at the very same time rail about greedhogs who value conservation of clean air and water only if the market forces make it more profitable for them.

who the fuck cares dood... seriously climbing is fun and if you take it to that level...it is no better than any other dumbass sport like football or [Mad] rugby...seriously fun in the outdoors...say it with me fun in teh outdoors..."but i can climb 5.65 onsight redpoint flash-light...who cares what you can climb... [Roll Eyes][big Drink]

"I was attempting to focus/waste all my time on the specific issue of why the desires of a few moneymaking polluters get equal time with everyone and their children who are forced to breathe and drink their detritus."

because those moneymaking polluters only make money because many of us want their products, and if curtail them you impede others too.

"I'm wasting enough time here as it is without having to think up a response to every one of your ceaseless jabs over minutia."

The minutae of what you consider pollution is inseparable from your demand it be ended, because unless you detail what pollution is claims that all pollution must end except your pollution are at cross purposes. Making claims can only be judged by the standards they are judged against, and only you can tell us what your standards are.

"AFAICT you're argument is that I can't complain about others polluting because I pollute myself."

I have asked you to detail why your pollution does not count, and never claimed once you cannot complain while continuing to pollute. I may point out that it happens and you give yourself an out you deny others, I have not said you can't complain. Complain away. In this way I can critique your continued usage.

What I want to know is why your choices are legitimate while those of millions of others are not.

"No scale of degradation is taken into account."

I am aware of this, and asking for this scale is precisely what I'm doing. I would point out that since producers build products for millions upon millions, that of course their scale will be larger, just as the sum total of many thousands of people's choices to go hiking or climbing on a weekend turns each small instance of degradation into a much larger one.

"I feel you must take scale into account. I do not find my pleasure trips to the Cascades to be on an equal scale to an auto industry that markets inefficient automobiles to thousands of people just because they can."

yet you climb, and use metals and oil, just because you can. This element of attacking what others do "just because they can" as if they are different from you is the issue here. How are they different?

HHow do you decide what you do is not waste when you cannot in any way know why they do what they do nor what else they do you don't know about? It's the entire set of assumptions that allows you to opt out while convicting other who are merely using their personal desires to make choices that I can't figure out.

I do not get how you seemingly know who chooses what, and why, using any basis other than massive assumptions about others.

"I hope this answers your question."

I appreciate the response, surely, but it doesn't answer my question. My elemental question is: why do you get to decide so many other individuals, you say you value in social threads, are making choices you don't like when you don't know them or why they make them, other than by assumption?

[ 10-23-2002, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: MtnGoat ]