Women are heat sinks

mattp

In another thread, Trask (who else?) reports "I use a 4-pt. Hudson's Bay Trapper blanket and a sweet little klootch I met to keep warm." I don't know the term "klootch," but I think he is referring to a female member of our species and he would probably want us to know that he doesn't just crawl under the blanket and go to sleep.

My question is this: don't you (men) sleep warmer in your own bag than you do when zipped together with your (female) sweetie? It helps to have an extra down coat or something wrapped around your necks to reduce any draft, but still it has been my experience that all of my female partners over the years have been endothermic. If you've ever bivvied with your male partner and snuggled for warmth, didn't you find they were warmer than a female partner in the same situation? Is there some physiological reason for this?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

If you've ever bivvied with your male partner and snuggled for warmth, didn't you find they were warmer than a female partner in the same situation?

Hmmm, let me think [Roll Eyes] . While this has been discussed as a contingency plan for extreme cold, my guess is not too many guys have experienced what you describe. Maybe that's the key to going light. Perhaps Twight would shed some light(!) on this subject [hell no]

Really though, it just depends on the individuals. Two people could roast together whereas some are cold-skinned... someone get Courtenay for this physiological advice.

It's a natural fact....most of us are a little colder than most of you. I have a women's sleeping bag and one of its features is extra down in the feets. Don't hold that against us, just hold your nice furnace-like bodies against ours. One of the sweetest backcountry acts of chivalry is to warm up our frosty hands or feets with your body heat. [big Grin]

The two-up thing with sleeping bags doesn't work great, there's the draft thing, it's crowded in a way that I don't find cozy, and the bags aren't made to work well that way. If you have a major height differential (my former spouse was 6" taller than me) the drafty factor goes up.

I wish one of the manufacturers would wise up and make a 2 person bag, nuttin' fancy, just a nice 35 degree down or fill bag for two. That would [rockband] .

Allison - when you are talking about a draft..... is that because you are messing with 2 different bags or zipping together acouple? i found that when i zipped 2 mummys together (you get a left and a right) it was all nice at first because you have two seperate heating spots for your feet... but needless to say my boyfriend at the time was all warm and toasty.... i was way beyond kentucky fried! heat was NOT a problem. [big Drink]

Nope, pretty much used as directed, my experience has been that it was either drafty or uncomfortably cozy. It may just be me, as I am a sprawler....but I do know that most bags aren't really designed to work as well zipped together. I will check out the two person bag thing, that sounds cool, thanks.