Where are the climbing maps on www....?

adam

Ok... This is now a down right and dirty obsession!! I have yet to find a good web site for actual Detailed maps of rought descriptions for mountain climbing. I liked the Stanley map climbing guide profiling the three popular roughts up Mt. Rainier. Can you find maps this detailed on the web?? Also, who's got the lock on used mountaineering gear and clothing? I find eating Ramen the week after a major purchase unappetizing..

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got two words for your gear woes my friend. -PRO DEAL Yes, quit your job for that start-up and go to work at a gear store or climbing gym. You'll get almost all your gear at half price. The down side - you eat ramen every day and have to hitchhike to the crag. . . .but you'll have sweet gear!

How about topozone.com? You can get topos of any place in the country -- but not Canada; e-mail Dru at the BC Tourism Office smile.gif

If you want maps with the routes already drawn on them for you, well, that's kind of asking a lot. The MRNP website has a picture of the common routes, but it's pretty rudimentary, it looks like a child's drawing of a spider.

Any significant peak has a dozen or more routes on it; a map showing, say, the North Ridge route on Mt. Baker, or the Fisher Chimneys on Shuksan, isn't going to be accurate enough to be of any real use. Buy Beckey's or Nelson's books, (or check them out from the library.)

Yeah, don't quit your day job. Either have a friend PRO DEAL for you or just pick up a part-time job at the local sporting goods store doing ANYTHING for them. I worked on the phones for Campmor, at night after my regular job, met all sorts of cool people there and became the all-time CAMPMOR PRO-DEAL KING. When they said I couldn't do that anymore, I quit.

It's really good, you get a percentage off of wholesale. You really make out. Also, if the store you work at only sells socks made by Lowe Alpine, you can Pro Deal A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G Lowe Alpine sells. Same goes with other companies.

TNF and Mtn Hrdwr are kinda picky about this stuff, but you can usually make friends that'll do this for you. Don't go asking around so quickly though, because all the employers let their employees know they'll get canned if they pro-deal for anyone other than themselves.