[TR] A Special Autumn Weekend in the Enchantments - Snow Lake 10/21/2011

lukeh

Trip: [TR] A Special Autumn Weekend in the Enchantments - Snow Lake

Date: 10/21/2011

Trip Report:

Lots of fresh powder and peak fall color transformed the Enchantments into one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen. The pictures don’t do it justice. Matt, Brendan, and I spent three nights and three days here, but years wouldn’t be enough. You could die here laying out of the pristine granite as the clouds floated overhead behind twisting red larches against deep blue skies. The sun, moon, and stars must take special pleasure in casting their ancient light on this alpine paradise.

The mornings brought granite covered in slick ice that sent many hikers earthbound. Travelers’ spirited shouts of “godd@mnit” and “f$#!” as they slipped echoed off of the glistening, deep blue lakes, and frosted peaks in the early morning alpenglow, waking perhaps a weary ptarmigan or arousing the curiosity of a grazing mountain goat.

After close to 30 miles of hiking around, much of it with a 65-pound pack, our legs paid the very reasonable price of admission by turning into a thick, rubbery substance, incapable of moving with any semblance of grace or normalcy. The site of a leg press machine or someone doing squats would’ve induced vomiting in each of us.

Click on any picture for a larger version with a description.

697.jpg

696.jpg

699.jpg

704.jpg

698.jpg

700.jpg

701.jpg

707.jpg

703.jpg

702.jpg

705.jpg

708.jpg

706.jpg

Re-posted from my tumblr blog.

Gear Notes:

Crampons not a bad idea for early morning travel, especially leaving the lower enchantments towards Snow Lake.

Approach Notes:

Wasn't much snow until just before Lake Viviane.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic