Mt Hood this weekend?

dax021177

Hi all -- New to the forum. I'm heading up Mount Hood this weekend and wonder if anyone's been up anything other than the S. side route recently? I'm looking for some rope practice and so would like try something other than the main trail. Anyone have any ideas for this time of year? Thanks

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you go the south side route roping up is only needed on the old chute. And thats not going to be needed there unless you are with people that need it for mental security. Rope just creates more trouble in those situations where its not needed.

Good place to practice though cause other dangers are minimal and you can get used to having another guy on your line.

Climb safe, Have fun

Thanks! We attempted the south side on Monday and got great weather, though the snow conditions were icey on top and powdery underneath, making for some dicey footing at times. We were the only ones on the mountain.

Though we must have missed the old chute -- we crossed the hogsback and went far left, climbing a 300-400 foot snow slope, only to find we'd overshot the summit plateau. It was around 4 pm at that time so we turned back. I'll return another day!!

Thanks! We attempted the south side on Monday and got great weather, though the snow conditions were icey on top and powdery underneath, making for some dicey footing at times. We were the only ones on the mountain.

Though we must have missed the old chute -- we crossed the hogsback and went far left, climbing a 300-400 foot snow slope, only to find we'd overshot the summit plateau. It was around 4 pm at that time so we turned back. I'll return another day!!

out of season pic... but from the shrund, did you go up where the line tops out?

100_2558_-_route.JPG