[TR] Leavenworth - R&D - my dad's first multi-pitch 9/30/2011

Trip: Leavenworth - R&D - my dad's first multi-pitch

Date: 9/30/2011

Trip Report:

When my parents comes to visit from Minnesota my dad always wants to try out the things I've gotten into since moving out here. Two years ago it was a trip to Muir and then a trip up the Emmons route on Rainier. Then last year it was cragging in Leavenworth. This year he decided he wanted to try some multi-pitch rock. Him having only climbed for the one weekend before this, I decided R&D would be a good one for him. I was able to convince Matt and Aaron N. to come with, but had to entice Aaron N. with promises of cocaine crack.

6207142825_c3dc47c679_z.jpg

The four of us geared up and ready to go.

I climbed the first pitch with my dad before trading him over to Matt's rope so Aaron N. and I could go for cocaine crack.

6207656806_f0359f9bb5_z.jpg

My dad finishing up the first pitch.

6207657240_6d70f0ab8f_z.jpg

Matt and my dad working up to the chimney.

6207147581_418b67150e_z.jpg

Watching me curse at the wall a lot while slowly working up Cocaine Crack.

Cocaine Crack had been on my list of things I'd wanted to climb for a while, but only having led a couple other 10a's on gear it looked really intimidating. The crux was steep and hard for me, but I made it through it eventually, and Aaron N. was happy to follow it.

6207658578_f9a6a7bbfe_z.jpg

Me before the hard part of Cocaine Crack.

After that we rejoined with my dad and Matt and finished up the route.

6207148021_96ed059ef6_z.jpg

My dad finishing the chimney.

6207150433_377638d692_z.jpg

Matt "leading" the top out.

6207152241_510fe56b40_z.jpg

My dad finishing up the route.

After the top out we all hiked down and headed to town for some food at the sausage stand.

The weekend was finished with my mom, gf, and a few others joining us for a hike to Stuart Lake on Saturday and a little easy cragging in Sunday before driving back to Seattle. We even saw a little rattlesnake on the trail while hiking down from Domestic Dome.

6207805490_d4bdde58ee_z.jpg

Rattlesnake right by the trail.

Its a lot of fun to be able to share all these things that I love to do out here with my dad. Wonder what he will want to try next.........

Gear Notes:

Small cams were nice for the hard part of Cocaine Crack.

Approach Notes:

Climb R&D on a Friday and there's no crowd.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dad and son cragging, the best.

One of the best parts of the summer is doing a trip with the old pops, although the constant wails of "tension!" and "watch me here!" can get tiring at times... He's always stoked on wherever we go though, and I get to lead all the classic pitches.

One of the best parts of the summer is doing a trip with the old pops, although the constant wails of "tension!" and "watch me here!" can get tiring at times... He's always stoked on wherever we go though, and I get to lead all the classic pitches.

Yeah, he was pretty proud of the scrapes on his legs and hands until we told him that meant he was doing it wrong. We all make fun of him a bit while doing this stuff, but its pretty amazing for me to be able to do all this with him when he comes to visit.