[TR] Rainier - Muir 10/15/2011

Jim

Trip: Rainier - Muir

Date: 10/15/2011

Trip Report:

Took advantage of the weather window and tromped up to Muir with about 20 of my friends, mostly skiers. I thought my time of 3:20 wasn't bad for geezer speed until a couple, chatting away came by me on that last 500 feet - man that seems to take forever. I was tempted to show them my subscription card to Modern Maturity to ease my pride, but they went by too fast.

Having made the mistake of dawdling too long at Muir only to be greeted by 1K ft of refrozen snow, I didn't stay long and had quite a nice ski down to P Point. I put the skis on the pack there but a couple other folks milked it a bit more by taking on and off the skis. There was not a wisp of wind all the way up and it was a great ski. Variable packed powder and a melted thing crust made for some good turns - and for my 1st TAY.

I was greeted by a group of Japanese tourists on the paved path, about 100m from the parking lot - "Is this the way to Mt. Rainier?" - Ah, yes, just past those trees it will come into view. "How long does it take to get to the mountain?" --- Well, technically, you are on it now - and about an hour to get to those snow slopes you can see - but I wouldn't suggest that as your nice shoes will get pretty wet. So I suggested a short hike on Skyline for a glacier view.

DSCN1299.JPG

DSCN1306.JPG

DSCN1307.JPG

Gear Notes:

good skinning from just above Pan Point

Approach Notes:

Pebble Creek -

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days