Pants recommendation for Ice climbing

deanp

I'm looking for a new pants that would fit on me. I'm 5'3" and 28 waist. I love the cut of Marmot Cortina(Size Small) but too bad they're not meant for ice climbing. Any recommendation for a short guy like me? No women's pants please.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a kinda related note I'm looking for a new ice climbing shell jacket. Things I want include a windproof, light, water resistant shell fabric with some type of microfleece or brushed polyester lining and a good helmet compatible hood. I want it to be cut long enough, so I won't ride up over my harness when I'm climbing. Think like a Arcteryx Squamish with fleece lining - or a Marmot Driclime that is actually cut for climbing. Bonuses would be if it had no pockets (or only one chest pocket) and half zip. I tried the Marmot ROM and really liked the concept but the fit sucked and it seemed on the heavy side. Something like this has to exist, but the selection at the local stores sucks and I don't trust anything sold on line.

I'd say softshell, but only if they're totally waterproof. MH Conduit keeps me dry.

Softshell by definition is not waterproof.

Personally I ice climb in a pair of Arc'teryx Gamma LT or Gamma AR pants if the temps are below 28-30 F and have an old pair of full zip Gore XCR pants to throw over them if temps get close to/above freezing. It gives me the best balance of comfort and weather protection. I don't see the need for a waterproof pant when any precip is frozen. That said I wish I had snapped up a pair of the Rab Fusion pants when I had a chance to...my butt and knees are really the only areas that have ever wetted out on my soft shell pants.

• 2 weeks later...

GORE Soft Shell refers to the handling characteristics of the fabric and is completely waterproof.

softshell is a category of fabrics/garments that balance wind and water resistance with breathability and comfort in terms of stretch and feel.

Some are more water resistant (e.g. Windstopper or Schoeller WB-400) than others (e.g. Polartec Powershield or Tweave Durastretch) but if it is waterproof (e.g. MH Conduit) then it is a hardshell

Edited by Maxtrax

I'd say softshell, but only if they're totally waterproof. MH Conduit keeps me dry.

MH Conduit is a whole lineup of membranes. Most are totally waterproof, even the one they call "Softshell". My Conduit Softshell jacket is sitting right here on my desk at work - because I will never take it climbing again. Miserable. It seems to breathe even worse than the regular Gore-Tex/HyVent/H2No lineup of trash bags many people climb in.

Softshell - true softshell - is totally the way to go for cold-weather climbing.

On a kinda related note I'm looking for a new ice climbing shell jacket. Things I want include a windproof, light, water resistant shell fabric with some type of microfleece or brushed polyester lining and a good helmet compatible hood. I want it to be cut long enough, so I won't ride up over my harness when I'm climbing. Think like a Arcteryx Squamish with fleece lining - or a Marmot Driclime that is actually cut for climbing. Bonuses would be if it had no pockets (or only one chest pocket) and half zip. I tried the Marmot ROM and really liked the concept but the fit sucked and it seemed on the heavy side. Something like this has to exist, but the selection at the local stores sucks and I don't trust anything sold on line.

Check out Patagonia - I find the Ascentionist to be perfect. It's nearly 100% windproof, very water-repellent, and covers an enormous temp range. It's cut plenty long, and while it does have pockets they are low-profile and I just tuck them into my harness and don't use them. There's a third pocket in the chest that I use for small stuff. The hood is among the best I've used, with really simple volume adjustment.

The Guide Hoody is much warmer, but I find it too warm for almost everything I do (and I live in the Northeast).