RIP Steve

ZimZam

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steve had his own version of that Ivan:

"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life," Jobs said during a Stanford commencement ceremony in 2005. "Because almost everything -- all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure -- these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important." Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."

Amazing man. What a life.

meh. sure, he'll be a thomas edison type figure for the future to revere, but i'm not certain that his contributions haven't had some drawbacks - the whole iLife, propped up by endless iGadgets, leads to a lotta self-obsessed motherfuckers

i'll forgive him for the starry night ap on those goddamn phones though - that thing is fuckign cool!

meh. sure, he'll be a thomas edison type figure for the future to revere, but i'm not certain that his contributions haven't had some drawbacks - the whole iLife, propped up by endless iGadgets, leads to a lotta self-obsessed motherfuckers

i'll forgive him for the starry night ap on those goddamn phones though - that thing is fuckign cool!

A living example of an inhabitant of Plato's Cave.

A living example of an inhabitant of Plato's Cave.

i do spend a lot of time thinking about chairs :)

I think Jobs was definitely living outside of the Cave

It's unsettling that no one seems to be talking about the death of Reverend Shuttlesworth...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-10-05/fred-shuttlesworth-dies/50667896/1?csp=34news

good link - wow, some amazing stories in there - i really didn't know much other than his name, guess us 'mericans like to keep things simple, so mlk and, at most, malcolm x were about all that could fit!

reckon his story got downplayed abit b/c he was a billion years old and folks just kinda expect them to keel over eventually :)

The mofo's were already self obsessed, now we just have facebook so we can be self obsessed voyeur's looking through the living room windows of other self obsessed mofo's, and do it without having to actually you know, deal with other people.

Wasn't is Sartre who said the hell is other people anyway?

The mofo's were already self obsessed, now we just have facebook so we can be self obsessed voyeur's looking through the living room windows of other self obsessed mofo's, and do it without having to actually you know, deal with other people.

Wasn't is Sartre who said the hell is other people anyway?

Sartres' Quote literally translated from French is "Hell is others" not just other people all "others".

I was referring to Ivan.

the problem with most philosophers is they're dead

steve jobs was a man like anybody else, his death reaffirms that basic fact - he doesn't need to be hero-worshipped - he made more contributions to the modern world than most for certain, and his life will be remembered long after my own has gone, and i can be enlightened enough not to be jealous about that :)

wonder how long the battery in his iTomb will last? :P

Edited by ivan

His passing brought back memories of my family's first computer. For better or worse, that Apple (perhaps a ][e or III) symbolized so much for my immigrant parents.

It was no surprise when they forced me to attend computer camp.

0 REM   NO CLUE IF THIS WOULD REALLY WORK
10 PRINT " ******************************* "
20 PRINT " ** 	    THANKS STEVE         ** "
30 PRINT " ******************************* "

40 PRINT "             ^\_                 "
50 PRINT "         o_/^   \		    "
60 PRINT "         /_^     \_		    "
70 PRINT "         \/^       \		    "
80 PRINT "         / ^        `\	    "
90 PRINT "         ^            \	    "

100 PRINT " ******************************  "

110 IF SUCCESS = TRUE THEN

120 PRINT "	       \o/		    "
130 PRINT "		|		    "
140 PRINT "	       / \		    "
150 PRINT "             ^\_		    "
160 PRINT "           /^   \		    "
170 PRINT "           ^     \_		    "
180 PRINT "          /^       \		    "
190 PRINT "         / ^        `\	    "
200 PRINT "         ^            \	    "

210 ELSE

220 FOR i = 1 to 3
230 PRINT "	       \ /		    "
240 PRINT "		|		    "
250 PRINT "	       /o\		    "
260 NEXT i
270 END IF
280 REM 	Climber from http://www.ascii-art.de/

> RUN

I was referring to Ivan.

the problem with most philosophers is they're dead

steve jobs was a man like anybody else, his death reaffirms that basic fact - he doesn't need to be hero-worshipped - he made more contributions to the modern world than most for certain, and his life will be remembered long after my own has gone, and i can be enlightened enough not to be jealous about that :)

Much longer if he puts it in airplane mode! :)

Classically hilarious! :laf:

like the challenger disaster, i have a feeling there's far more gold in that thar mine - will see what bill maher can manage tomorrow night :)

man, the economy has been looking rough for months, but now there's light at the end of the tunnel. only one jobs died this week. :)