[TR] La Dent Blanche, Valais, CH - Arête Sud 10/2/2011

Trip: La Dent Blanche, Valais, CH - Arête Sud

Date: 10/2/2011

Trip Report:

Here is my crosspost from the Skisickness Sanitarium:

With the inevitable 'grisaille' coming, the familiar grey skies and abundant precipitation of fall, I wanted to get out into the higher peaks of Valais before the shitstorm struck. We decided on the Dent Blanche, or white tooth, the east-most 4000 meter peak with a French name. This peak is 4356 m and is not accessed by telepherique like the nearby peaks or other 4000ers. It is known for some reason as the Queen of the Alps because of each of its aretes faces a cardinal direction. I don't get it.

Anyway, getting on this peak means insane views of the Matterhorn and the rest of the filthy stupidness of the high alps. We decided to stay in the French speaking part of Valais in order to avoid the over-abundance of alpensheiße nearby.

The trek starts at 1800m near the hamlet of évolene, about 1h45 min from my layer, in a less travelled corner of the alps. We spent the afternoon sat. trekking up the rotten moraines of the once expansive glacier de ferpecle. The huge valley glaciers around here are rapidly evaporating making the long 12 km trek to the refugue at 3500m a sufferfest. We spent saturday night at the hut, where we slept poorly due to the vieux guides having a fondue party until midnight.

DSC00274.jpg

Warm temps until sunset allowed for an outdoor dinner on our S. facing balcony, even at 3500m. We prepared a mexican feast with a dessert of diamox.

DSC00289.jpg

DSC00300.jpg

The view from the refuge is quite fantastic.

DSC00318.jpg

Another recent attempt at night photography. I forgot you're supposed to leave out the moon.

DSC00329.jpg

After climbing above the hut a little ways, we were presented with the Matterhorn and the Dent d'Herens. Yes thanks.

DSC00330.jpg

Le Cervin.

DSC00336.jpg

West towards the Mont White.

DSC00341.jpg

The arete included two sections of snow/ice. Yay we get to climb with crampons and boots and axe.

DSC00344.jpg

Once on the rock, we climbed mostly-shortroped. Most of the climbing was probably in the 5.5-5.8 range. We opted to climb the grand gendarme, which probably was around 5.8 and pitched at three pitches. The route is about 650 meters of rock, almost 2000 feet.

DSC00351.jpg

Jean-Charles on an easier section.

DSC00357.jpg

Jean Charles following up a part of the climb that veers onto the West Face.

DSC00360.jpg

On the summit.

DSC00366.jpg

The descent is more difficult that the ascent because you backtrack almost 500 meters of technical climbing. It was good practice.

DSC00368.jpg

Jean-Charles downclimbing a nice section of gneiss.

DSC00373.jpg

To avoid the Grand Gendarme on the way down, you wrap your rope around these metal horns called tiges. They are designed to hold multiple parties. I've never seen anything like it.

DSC00375.jpg

The route follows skyline right. After the climb we had a nice 2000 meter descent to the car among les moutons noirs.

The Valais provides.

Gear Notes:

Several quick draws, small rack. 40m rope.

Approach Notes:

Long.

Edited by powdherb

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic