Martini Thread

bstach

Wondering if you all have any favorite martini recepies to share. I don't mean James Bond gin and vermouth martinis (I have the recepie for that anyway) but the more contemporary martinis that are fruity and such. Yes, I know they are not "real martinis". Whatever. Post 'em up.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondering if you all have any favorite martini recepies to share. I don't mean James Bond gin and vermouth martinis (I have the recepie for that anyway) but the more contemporary martinis that are fruity and such. Yes, I know they are not "real martinis". Whatever. Post 'em up.

If it is sweet it is not a martini.

Good gin and olive juice will make a very good martini.

I love gimlets! :)

How about a Vesper?

Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice-cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon peel. Got it?"

I've never had a Vesper, but it looks interesting. The Lillet contains bitters and quinine, so this could be an excellent aperitif... have to try it. But shit, it's not Friday yet, Sobo, so stop tempting me!

I've never had a Vesper,

Yes.....but have you climbed it?

I did the walk up with a co-worker. He didn't make it all the way to the top though. :-)

I climbed the entire north side about 4 years ago.....pretty cool. I should have packed in a dirty martini....who knew?

Fill shaker with fresh ice, straight from the freezer

Pour a dab of dry Vermouth in shaker

Shake

Pour out Vermouth

Pour 3 shots chilled Bombay Sapphire in shaker

Shake

Put olive in a chilled martini glass

Pour contents of shaker in glass

Add a twist

Drift away on a wisp of cirrus cloud

Pour in a chilled martini glass

STFU and experience a little bit of Heaven

Edited by tvashtarkatena

This thread is terrible. No man wants a fruitini! And dickwaving about how little vermouth you want in your drink is so played out.

Best martini:

Keep your cocktail glasses in the freezer.

Keep your vermouth in the fridge, it goes bad otherwise.

Keep your gin at room temperature, because you're not in college.

Cocktail shaker full of ice

4 parts gin (good gin, like Plymouth)

1 part vermouth

Shake vigorously for a short period of time

Strain into the iced glass

Garnish with olives- use an odd number, less than three.

Shake

FAIL....WRONG......you never shake a martini. You will bruise the alcohol. Stirring is the only way. And be quick about it....you dont want to dilute the alcohol with the water.

You can't "bruise" alcohol. Some aromatic alcohol like gin shouldn't be chilled too much or it will lose its aroma. That's why you don't put gin in the freezer.

Shaking can get a drink colder than stirring, which is why people who like to pretend they know a lot about booze say stupid things like "shaking will bruise the alcohol."

This thread is terrible. No man wants a fruitini! And dickwaving about how little vermouth you want in your drink is so played out.

Best martini:

1 part vermouth

Close. I go with 5:1 gin:vermouth. As for the olive, rinse the brine off of it briefly first and dry it off, so your martini is not ruined (i.e. dirty)

This thread is terrible. No man wants a fruitini!

That may be true, but do you have a wife or girlfriend? This was supposed to be the girlie martini thread, not the selfish man thread. Though you're right, one would never guess that amidst all the dickwaving going on. Changing the title.

Shake

FAIL....WRONG......you never shake a martini. You will bruise the alcohol. Stirring is the only way. And be quick about it....you dont want to dilute the alcohol with the water.

You can't "bruise" alcohol. Some aromatic alcohol like gin shouldn't be chilled too much or it will lose its aroma. That's why you don't put gin in the freezer.

Shaking can get a drink colder than stirring, which is why people who like to pretend they know a lot about booze say stupid things like "shaking will bruise the alcohol."

You can't chill a martini too much. The whole point is for it to unfold within you, not in front of you, grasshopper.

Best martini:

1 part vermouth

Close. I go with 5:1 gin:vermouth. As for the olive, rinse the brine off of it briefly first and dry it off, so your martini is not ruined (i.e. dirty)

5:1 is recommended.