Barry Blanchard Chased up Tree by Bear

jon

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Russians use road flares. Bears fear the flame and the smoke "blinds" their primary sense which is smell. Plus it is pain free so it doesn't piss them off.

Bear spray is sometimes ineffective and the smell attracts other bears to the area.

All you ever wanted to know about pepper spray, guns & bears:

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/are-guns-more-effective-pepper-spray-alaska-bear-attack?page=0,0

Thanks for the excellent article from AK. Working up there for several seasons and walking salmon streams on a daily basis, I was charged several times (and one time stalked by a charging subadult male for the longest 10 minutes of my life). We always carried a gun (shotgun with slugs), but things happen so fast that it is rarely off your shoulder and ready to fire before it is over (bear usually veered at the last second, amid much cursing). Those with pepper spray always had it out and ready to spray before whomever had the gun. As a matter of fact, a co-worker's life was spared through the use of pepper spray at close range (the bear was standing over the top of her and she emptied it into its mouth). So, in my experience, pepper spray is the way to go. And make sure to make a lot of noise (doesn't always work though when it is windy or you are near rushing water).

My experiences in brown bear country are also the prime reason why I am not excited about the push to recover them in the North Cascades.