Best one day climbs in the cascades?

JDCH

Hello!

I am new to the west coast, and I unfortunately have an awful work schedule that currently does not allow me more than one day climbs at the moment, but I am still trying to get out as much as possible, so I was hoping for some suggestions for one days climbs in the cascades to get my feet wet in these magnificent cascades!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for alpine rock

-the tooth

-ingals peak, south ridge (would be a long day)

-head up to wash pass before it snows and do beckey route on liberty bell

get better at rock climbing by cragging. most of the one day climbs around here are rock or scrambling. your one day snow and ice come in around february to july. (condition dependent) Options are much more when we have a high altitude rain followed by clear nights or just a prolonged high pressure system in the winter. Then you got plenty of things to do in snoqualmie pass.

A few one day snow/ice trips year round usually involve glacier travel

-south side hood

-coleman deming on mt baker

-easy way up adams (non glaciated side)

Anything at Washington Pass, anything in the Stuart Range and anything that is normally done in 2-3 days can usually be done within 24 hours car to car. Pack light, move fast and start at night the day before. If you're not used to the fast and light concept and would rather take in the scenery and move slow then maybe just pick climbs that are typically day climbs like Ingalls Peak, Guye Peak, Snow Creek Wall, etc.

There are plenty of one day climbs out there, depending on how far you are willing to drive and how far you are willing to hike.

Many of the 1 day climbs involve scrambling and snow, as opposed to rock and glacier climbing. A few of my favorites

Sahale

Mt Maude

Cashmere

Dragontail

Colchuck

Cannon

Snoqualmie Mountain, Silver Peak, Guye Peak and pretty much anything else around Snoqualmie Pass is always a fun, nearby climb

Not sure where you're coming from in terms of difficulty or experience, but doing things in the mountains is rather different from doing them at the crag or on smaller hills. It takes more to climb 5.6 on a mountain than 5.6 at a walk-up crag. If you don't have much experience in mountains I'd suggest you go for hikes and scrambles to get dialed into x-country travel. Often no ropes or gear are needed and you can still have great outings. See WA scrambles book for ideas. Then start working the technical elements into the mix.

A final word: don't underestimate the weather. It can kick your ass if you're not careful.

Black Peak (Pick a route)

E. Wilmans Spire (5.4)

Colchuck (Glacier Route)

Whitehorse (Standard Route except use rocks on the left instead of the snow finger)

Main Peak of Mt. Index (probably a long day)

Sloan (Corkscrew Route)

Gothic & Del Campo near Monte Christo are doable in a day.

Weigelt Route on the North Face of Vesper would also be a good choice at 5.7 if you are comfortable climbing at that level with sparse pro.

Not sure where you're coming from in terms of difficulty or experience, but doing things in the mountains is rather different from doing them at the crag or on smaller hills. It takes more to climb 5.6 on a mountain than 5.6 at a walk-up crag. If you don't have much experience in mountains I'd suggest you go for hikes and scrambles to get dialed into x-country travel. Often no ropes or gear are needed and you can still have great outings. See WA scrambles book for ideas. Then start working the technical elements into the mix.

A final word: don't underestimate the weather. It can kick your ass if you're not careful.

+1 again.

JDCH

I'm new to the N Cascades myself. My climbing experience has been on the larger cascade peaks mainly. I've done the CD on Baker and, on 24th of Sept did a car to car on Mt Shuksan. I'd recommend Shuksan for a day trip if you're in good shape and are pretty comfortable on glaciers and 4th - 5th class rock. Took me 13 hours but my guess is +- 11 hours is more probably the norm. The summit pyramid is a scramble 3/4th class gully, or the SW Ridge has some low 5th class supposedly.

The Sulphide Glacier route is in beautiful condition right now imho. You can get a good look around at the other peaks from the summit. This was my main motivation.

Oh, and, excellent posts above with good info/advice. Heed the one about the weather...

good luck,

d

Everyone-- Thank you for the great advice!

Rad-- Thank you for the warning, weather can be very scary.

I have climbed Shuskan North face, early winter spires, and Colchuck Glacier route so far in the cascades, I have more ice and snow alpine experience, doing most of my climbing in New Hampshire, but I have also gone up to altitude on mt Elbrus in russia, I appreciate all of the great suggestions, and if my experience gives anyone any more good ideas, I would love to hear them!!

Thanks for the warm welcome to the cascades!

It has snowed in the North Cascades- about 4-5" on Monday down just below WA pass. S and E facers are melting off, but still plenty of white on N Facing stuff.

Another good day is to go climb the Kangaroo Temple N Face and the mighty "Little Finger" next door. Both are fun climbs and no harder than 5.5.

Earlier in the year, the MapleLeaf Coulior on Copper peak is a fun solo.