Mt. Adams - Oct 15

ashish

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still planning on going. I'm going to meet ashish there around 5:30 PM on Friday.

I'm down for hiking a bit Friday night and camping, or I think a few guys are camping at the base and making an alpine start Saturday morning. I'm good either way.

If the weather is bad on Saturday I'd be able to wait it out and see if we could get up on Sunday as well.

I'm fairly open to anything.

looks like most people are doing an alpine start on Sat. Gary, if you are ok, let's join Hobson & Co for an alpine start Sat. If the weather doesn't allow summit on Sat, we can re-attempt on Sun.

I know somebody (Hobson?) had inquired about hiking/plastic boots. Looking at the temperatures, hiking boots may be quite inadequate for the cold. Leather/Plastic Mountaineering boots may be more suitable.

I got a scarpa inverno plastic for $12.00 in a REI garage sale last weekend and I got a new Scarpa Mont Blanc for this trip. So I will be getting both. Not sure which one I will wear. I have a synthetic jacket and a 800 fill down jacket. Thinking of leaving the down behind and carrying only the synthetic. And of course got my axe and crampons. Any last minute ideas/tips on gear or clothing from the experienced Cascade climbers?

Are you guys planning on meeting at the trailhead or in Trout Lake? It sounds like ElectricEric and I will be joining you guys later on Friday.

Ashish- If I were you I'd wear the Mont Blancs. They'll be perfect for this kind of weather and I bet a lot more comfortable than the Invernos. I've been wanting to pick up a pair of Mont Blancs, they're awesome boots.

Some of us (including myself) are new to Cascades here, so if you are not aware, there is a day use pass required for the trail head parking for Adams:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPwhQoY6IeDdGCqCPOBqwDLG-AAjgb6fh75uan6BdnZaY6OiooA1tkqlQ!!/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMDAwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=fsbdev2_027009&navid=160100000000000&pnavid=160000000000000&ss=110603&position=Not%20Yet%20Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=Gifford%20Pinchot%20National%20Forest-%20Recreation%20Passes

This is different from the climbing permit, which is not required after September. I was thinking of Camping at cold springs/morrison creek campground, but it's going to be cold! unless others have better ideas

I have an annual pass. It's only $30 (as opposed to $5 per day) so if you're planning on going up more than 6 times over the next year it's totally worth it to get the yearly pass. And that way you don't have the inconvenience of having to stop for the daily pass each time. I'm fine with camping anywhere.

Seriously I'd be more worried about being able to drive all the way to the trailhead then whether you can get up the mountain or not, as driving up the road in mud or snow can be more challenging then the climb!

Monday afternoon the road was good, not so much the weather. Some fallen logs in the road that were mostly cleared, enough to squeeze by anyway.

Edited by gasper

Hey all,

So I only have hiking boots and I'm not going to drop a few hundred on a pair of Scarpas or Mt Blancs right now, so any ideas? Think I'll be okay?

Got crampons?

If so, hiking boots and realllly warm socks and be prepared to call it a day if it doesnt work out.

Could always rent boots from REI. Think there are a couple other places that have rentals as well.

Edited by ElectricEric

Hey all,

So I only have hiking boots and I'm not going to drop a few hundred on a pair of Scarpas or Mt Blancs right now, so any ideas? Think I'll be okay?

it's gonna be pretty cold... have you spent any prolonged time in snow in sub-freezing conditions in the boots? some guys seem to run hotter than others.. but i personally wouldn't take anything less than mountain boots. i'm right now sort of desperately debating bringing my plastiques, even... and i really don't want to climb in plastiques. craigslist will probably be your friend, to buy, or you can definitely rent. my partners rent.. gets the job done.

i'd personally have crampons. it would really blow to get most of the way up and have to turn around because it's all crusty and your rubber wont bite.

Edited by bkb0000

Hey all,

If you're boots are big enough I'd even double up socks. I'll be wearing a pair of Scarpa Charmoz which are "warm weather" climbing boots, but I've had them in 15 degree weather before and been fine with two pairs of socks. Depends what kind of hiking boots they are too. If they're super light boots they might not be too good but a heavier, slightly insulated hiking boot might be ok. I'm surprised UW has rental crampons but not boots?!?!

The boots I have are an old hand-me-down pair of Gore Vasques. I don't think they have insulation and their water seal is pretty much gone currently. UW does have virtually every kind of rental BUT boots- crampons,ice axe,packs,snowshoes,harnesses,pickets,pitons,anchors,ropes,etc.

Does REI rent mountaineering boots??

I'm still "iffty". I might show up and join in for a bit. Likely, I won't make the top. I can take care of myself and will head down on my own just fine. I've been up the route 6-8 times. I only summitted once in 3 tries.

122nb7m.jpg

How will I recognize everybody at the trailhead?

Edited by billisfree

Congrats Bill! Oookay Eric, good to know we've got a navigator in the group. REI does rent mountaineering boots, and thanks to a magically timed 50% off one rental deal for members, we get em for $20. Not too bad.

Bill, you can recognize us by looking for the, most likely, only group at camp. We're also gonna be a BIG group so just look for that. We're leavin early though!