[TR] Robson to Bugaboos in 6 days: - Airplane Camping and Aerial Photography 9/20/2011

Steph_Abegg

Trip: Robson to Bugaboos in 6 days: - Airplane Camping and Aerial Photography

Date: 9/19-24/2011

Trip Report:

Last week I joined aerial photographer and pilot John Scurlock on a 6-day aerial adventure in the Canadian Rockies. Over the course of a week and a total of 16 hours in the air, we traveled from Mt. Robson and the northern Rockies in Kakwa Provincial Park down along the west side of Jasper National Park, visiting the Tonquin Valley, the Hooker, Clemenceau, and Columbia Icefields, and then flew around the Valhallas, the Bugaboos, and Mt. Assiniboine. The flying conditions were great, the mountains basked in the late summer light, and the trip in general was just so unique and epic that at times it was hard to believe that we were swooping at eye-level past snow-dusted monoliths of the remote Canadian Rockies. And not just one or two, but hundreds. Needless to say, it was a mountain trip of a lifetime.

Maps / Route Overlays

Map of our flight path.

Our flight line around Mt. Robson, with photo locations designated. Pretty cool.

Trip Report

I've posted a trip report and photos on my website:

http://www.stephabegg.com/home/tripreports/britishcolumbia/rockiesairplanecamping

Here are a few photos....

6173439002_cd8cc02226.jpg

6172916459_ec5831093c.jpg

6173446044_2118bc03b2.jpg

6172928677_b76671d6eb.jpg

6173467478_c17fe1f1fe.jpg

6183292637_82b2bfc543.jpg

6183627648_f5a187687f.jpg

6183632718_6900368baa.jpg

6183633892_0aed8f60fb.jpg

6183634512_3672ff4ce7.jpg

6183115045_33c66c5dc2.jpg

To see more, go to my trip report on my website:

http://www.stephabegg.com/home/tripreports/britishcolumbia/rockiesairplanecamping

Edited by Steph_Abegg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steph: It's a great way to see the mountains and scope routes, is'nt it! I'm getting some good views of a few 20Kers over here, but don't envision much climbing happening here any time soon.

Oh yeah, now I want to climb more than ever...starting with Mt. Robson, next summer hopefully (you interested?). Sounds like this summer wasn't such a good one for Robson anyway—-only one party summited the entire season!

Send me a photo of a 20Ker if you ever get a chance to take a photo out the window. I'd like to see what the terrain is like over there.

Hope the leg's doing good these days....

-Steph

I've been on the Japanese route but didn't summit

any pics of Mt. Alberta are interesting.

The N face hasn't seen an ascent for several years, it rarely comes in condition. Even by the easiest (Japanese) route it will go for a year at a time without a summit.

The mountain only got it's first winter ascent by any route in 2003.

The N face hasn't seen an ascent for several years, it rarely comes in condition. Even by the easiest (Japanese) route it will go for a year at a time without a summit.

Yeah, those walls look like climbs where it would be difficult to pick out any particular route line that would not vary by year and fluctuations in condition. Makes it a challenge when every attempt is a quasi first attempt.....

How about the NF of North Twin, now that's another rugged wall!

Thanks for the TR Steph!!! Spectacular images as usual, I can see why my dad (a retired pilot who has spent a bunch of low level time in the Cascades and beyond) wonders why I spend so much time thrashing around the bushes. Airplanes get you to the views quick and easy (though not cheap)!

Yeah, those walls look like climbs where it would be difficult to pick out any particular route line that would not vary by year and fluctuations in condition. Makes it a challenge when every attempt is a quasi first attempt.....

How about the NF of North Twin, now that's another rugged wall!

NF North Twin Spring attempt

NF North Twin Fall attempt

Great pics Steph. How long before you get your pilot's license? :laf:;)

there are at least some pluses to immobility!

Steph is willing her way to mobility like no other. I've seen it, believe me.

sidetracked by his trip to China.

unfortunately, that got sidetracked as well... so I was two months late to ACC...but will be at bcmc on Dec 13, along with special guest David Tucker who will talk about Baker research for a few minutes. And with any luck, Steph will be along with us too, I'm hoping. We'll talk a bit about this trip I'm sure... six absolutely incredible days with a terrific copilot...

I stumbled across your website a few years ago and became a HUGE fan. Any chance you'd consider eventually coming down to Portland for your night photography workshop?

Congrats on your bike adventure. I am looking forward to reading about it later when I am not at work...if I start looking at the photos now, I will get distracted for hours.

The workshop would certainly be worth the commute to Seattle.

Your Oregon coast photos are beautiful though the Good & Plenty's might be my favorite :) I pedaled mostly the same route in 2008, crossing the border to the Praire Creek Redwoods. Coasting the last ~10 miles downhill through those trees was a special way to end it.