Want to get out of your comfort zone this fall?

lazzara

Here's the deal.

I've got a ticklist as long as my arm of climbs I need to do to fill up my 'resume' (if you will) to move onto the next level of my AMGA courses in the Rock and Alpine disciplines. And I need to folks to be willing 'clients' who are psyched to fill that roll on climbs that might be well above their current ability.

Yes, you will get short roped. Sometimes you might even wonder why the stupid rope is still in play.

Yes, you will get told what to do a majority of the time.

But to make this worth your while I could hopefully accelerate your learning curve by teaching you some ways to get it done quicker and safer out there.

I have no insurance. There will be no exchange of anything resembling money. All the same, the risk you incur would be no greater than it would be with anybody else you might meet through this website.

Please be honest about your fitness and skill levels and be ready to have some long days. I'm over the fall bivy unless it's really needed.

Throw some climbs my way.

No, not Rainier . . . or Adams or St. Helens.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Eric,

So I'm a freshman at UW and I moved up here from AZ specifically to climb. I of course want to do the simple climbs and the classic peaks, but mostly I just want to get out and climb. I'm relatively inexperienced but have been out a few times (Mt Whitney and Mt Hood), so I've definately got a lot to learn. If you're guiding and looking for someone to act as a client, I think I'd be your man. I'm game for any "alternative" climbs you've got on your list. Obviously I don't want to plunge into anything that is SUPER beyond my experience level, but if you are experienced and confident climbing with a newbie, let me know and we can get going. I don't have a car but gas money is no question.

Thanks a lot,

-Matt Hobson

I need to folks to be willing 'clients' who are psyched to fill that roll on climbs that might be well above their current ability.

Yes, you will get short roped. Sometimes you might even wonder why the stupid rope is still in play.

Yes, you will get told what to do a majority of the time.

So if I'm understanding your post correctly is seems you are looking for people with few, if any, climbing skills to put their lives in your hands and give you total control over all decisions regarding the climb, so that you can gain the experience to confidently claim to people that they can put their lives in your hands and you should be given total control over all decisions regarding the climb.

Perhaps I've misread it?

I understand what you are trying to do and certainly don't mean to offend with my questions, however complete noobers to this game most likely don't even have the ability to judge their own skills, let alone the abilities of a total stranger they met on the tubes. Until you are actually certified I'd think that you should be "practicing" with people who know a little more than how to tie into a rope and belay. Perhaps posting this in the Partners forum, rather than trolling the Newbies forum, would be more appropriate.

Again, I apologize if I've read too much into your post. Good luck with getting your badge.

Well, Kirk, I've already been doing this for years, so I am qualified to train/climb with people who posses minimal skills. That's what I already do for work.

New climbers I bring into the field are not "guinea pigs" of any sort. They get a great, new experience with a high degree of supervision and risk.managment I get to complete a list of mock guided, prerequisite climbs, applying skills I know well but need to refine in terrain that is new to me (i.e. something other than another freakin' lap on the Shuksan summit pyramid).

If you, or anybody else out there, would like to see my personal resume or a list of references, from my employers or certified guides I am well aquainted with, I would be happy to do so.

And judging from the number of people who have responded to this post, most do not share you concerns and are stoked to get guided for free and learn some skills to add to there own climbing in the process.

Thanks you for voicing your concern. Apology accepted.

Edited by lazzara

I went out yesterday with lazzara and no doubt had a way better experience than I expected.

It was my first time ever on ice and lazzara helped me every step of the way. I felt comfortable and safe the whole time. It really was like I hired a personal teacher/guide. He played the professional guide/teacher part well when it was necessary and communication was awesome.

Again, an absolutely spectacular time and I'm looking forward to getting out with you again. You just opened me up to something new and incredibly awe-inspiring. Thanks so much.

Gary

Hey folks - thanks for the abundance of (mostly) positive responses. I've been able to hook up and climb with some of you who have contacted me and it's been a great experience.

That being said, with the continually crappy weather we've had so far this month combined with having made contact with a number of interested parties (who have flexible schedules), chances are slim I'll be able to get out with anybody else in the near future.

Thanks again for all your interest and try to climb something this fall on that one OK day per week!

Cheers . . .