Alpine buddy of the week

allthumbs

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second that. I promised I wouldn't share this with the group, as Trask is kind of shy, but this latest nomination has inspired me to share. Trask and I were attempting a new route up North; really sick, severe death potential. Well, I took the lead and was moving up some marginal ground with a dead snafflehound wedged in a constriction for pro. I got as high as I could but found that the holds ran out; I was stuck. I searched around and saw a bomber hold about 3' above my head - I had to dyno for it. I went for it...and missed. I was falling. When would the falling stop? It seemed like I fell forever. All of a sudden I was jerked to a stop; Trask had jammed a trekking pole behind a block and arrested my fall. I couldn't move, he lowered me to a ledge and downclimbed to where I was. He made a stretcher out of our packs and we made it down to a snowfield but it was too steep. I told him to leave me and save himself as the weather was turning ugly. He refused, dug into his pack and pulled out a small package. "We'll strap on the nitro and blast our way down," he said.

We finally made it down and he carried me out to our vehicle. Thank you, Trask.

Greg W

quote:

Originally posted by Greg W:

I'll second that. I promised I wouldn't share this with the group, as Trask is kind of shy, but this latest nomination has inspired me to share. Trask and I were attempting a new route up North; really sick, severe death potential. Well, I took the lead and was moving up some marginal ground with a dead snafflehound wedged in a constriction for pro. I got as high as I could but found that the holds ran out; I was stuck. I searched around and saw a bomber hold about 3' above my head - I had to dyno for it. I went for it...and missed. I was falling. When would the falling stop? It seemed like I fell forever. All of a sudden I was jerked to a stop; Trask had jammed a trekking pole behind a block and arrested my fall. I couldn't move, he lowered me to a ledge and downclimbed to where I was. He made a stretcher out of our packs and we made it down to a snowfield but it was too steep. I told him to leave me and save himself as the weather was turning ugly. He refused, dug into his pack and pulled out a small package. "We'll strap on the nitro and blast our way down," he said.

We finally made it down and he carried me out to our vehicle. Thank you, Trask.

Greg W

[laf]

Now who's going to submit this stark and beautifully touching trip report to the Nobel Literature Prize committee?

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

[laf]

Now who's going to submit this stark and beautifully touching trip report to the Nobel Literature Prize committee?

If they can give the Peace Prize to a spokesman for Habitat for Humanity, I ought to at least get on the list! [big Grin]

Another time, Trask and I were attempting a winter circumnavigation of Lake 22, high in the North Cascades. About 15 hours in, the weather turned nasty and I started hallucinating from accidentally eating some of Trask's homemade 'shroom-flavored Gu. The rest of our party became separated from us as we were trying break trail. I started mumbling about Dr. Flash Amazing being a genius and SexualChocolate having some good political ideas, and such; Trask slapped me hard in the face and said, "keep it together, man, you're talking crazy!!" That snapped me out of my reverie and we sprung into action. Trask's power was superhuman as we carved chunks of of the lake to build an igloo to protect the rest of our group from the fierce winter storm. Trask was forced to skin and cook two of our work dogs, complete with a dash of Johnny's seasoning. They tasted great! The next morning dawned clear and crisp. We made it back safely and we all agreed that Trask was the glue that held our group together through that long night.

[ 10-11-2002, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: Greg W ]

quote:

I heard that Scot'etzl sold his Mt. Si cougar story to Paramount for Vertical Limit 2!

I did!

Made a quick $11, wait until you see the scene where I jump off the summit lookout bench and land on the dirt with 2 tools in my hand. The altitude does not affect me!

Instead of Nito I have nitrous and fill up balloons for everyone who makes the lowest summit in Washington!

[MR T]

• 4 years later...