Searching for a Camp-USA Woodpecker ice axe

missoulagrace

Hi there-

This may seem like an odd request, but I'm on a bit of a hunt. I work with the Biomimicry Institute, based in Missoula, MT. We're an educational non-profit founded by Janine Benyus in 2006 to help people learn to learn from nature.

One of the things we do to tell the 'biomimicry story' is to gather products that were designed based on an amazing adaptation learned from nature, so that we can share these in exhibits, museums and educational programs in the US and internationally, most recently in the UK and Denmark.

So-- I am trying to track down a Camp-USA Woodpecker ice axe, which was made with a curved handle in imitation of the form of one of nature's best hammers- the woodpecker. The axe has not been made for quite some time (so much so that the company doesn't have one and doesn't even have a list of retail outlets where it was sold.

Kind of a goose chase.

However, I thought I would ask at several robust climbing forums, and see if anyone has one, or has suggestions. I would really appreciate it if you'd contact me if you do!

Thanks, and have a great day!

Grace Decker

Education Programs Assistant

The Biomimicry Institute

Edited by missoulagrace

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So-- I am trying to track down a Camp-USA Woodpecker ice axe, which was made with a curved handle in imitation of the form of one of nature's best hammers- the woodpecker.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Grace Decker

Education Programs Assistant

The Biomimicry Institute

I remember the Camp Woodpecker c. 2000

It had a double bend in the shaft but the second bend went the wrong way (shaft was kind of S shaped), so the shaft had negative clearance rather than positive clearance and hence was always hitting ice bulges. I played with one one day at an ice demo and felt it was the worst axe of any at the demo that day.

It sounds like you might have been misled by someone (marketing hype) claiming that the Camp Woodpecker was inspired by the actual woodpecker bird. I don't think they had anything in common but the name. You might as well say that the Mercury Cougar was inspired by the real cougar, the degree of biomimicry is about the same.

This is not intended in any way to disparage the science of biomimicry itself. I'm still waiting for the lotus petal effect to be applied to the DWR on my jacket though.

• 5 years later...