New Crampon from Petzl

Pro Mountain Sports

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The mono-dual option is not new and I don't see any need for a modular step-in/strap on considering difficult ice climbing occurs in a step in. So what else makes it so special?

(note - a dickish tone is not intended, I'm in the market and would like to know - I just care nothing about the multi attachment options).

There's already been a thread on this: [url=]http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1029319/The_new_Petzl_Lynx_crampons#Post1029319][/url]

the main advantages are that there are more, longer down-points than the cyborg. and switchable front bails is cool.

But it's not cool enough for me to consider it for my next pair. I agree, these don't seem like major advantages, especially for increased cost over crampons like the cyborg that perform very well in all disciplines. Seems more like competition for a sabertooth or other "general purpose, all-around crampon"

I've actually got a pair late last week and will be using them in the next couple of weeks.

P1040273.JPG

First impressions?

The price thing only makes sense if you want to use them on multiple boots and boot styles. Looking at it that way you get two pairs of crampons for the price of one. So lots of ways to look at the price...and how the additional price might be off set for your own use...... that is just one way. But not the only way.

Mono and dual fronts for example. Off set fronts for another...call it three pairs of crampons just by changing the front points.

For me the off set front points is a crampon I am really looking forward to using on steep and mixed.

Counter point..Cyborg will do two (dual/mono) but no offsets. BD decided to make a mono specific crampon by simply copying the Dart. You can just which is a better crampon for your use.

Lighter than a Cyborg, but not as light as they might/ should have been. Bots are still, well not so good. BD or Grivel has better bots.

Up side the front bails on a Petzl crampon is way better than the BDs. BD's back bails are light years ahead of Petzl's rear.

Bottom line for me? It is a technical crampon. No technical crampon out there that will allow you to take advantage of the front points like the Lynx will. Is that worth the price of admission to you?

When it comes to putting a technical crampon on a double boot...the Lynx has no competition unless you own two pair of the same style crampons one with a wire and one with a basket.

I am not totally awed by the Lynx but it does have some features I like, a few I don't. But a closer look will tell you there isn't anything else around with the same features or that will climb technical ground as easily or as securly imo..

Some serious missed calculations and mis information posted above by guys who would know better if they had 5 minutes with the Lynx in their own hands.

One more time. Is it worth the price of admission?

Personally I like the Dartwin better. But it is costly replacing the front points. I will take advantage of the basket front and the offset front points on my double boots this winter though with the Lynx. Anything that lets you climb harder with less effort in a pair of doubles might well be worth an extra $50.

Likely the last pair (but may be not) of fronts @ $100.+ I buy for my Dartwins.

My prediction? When people get a chance to climb in them I suspect they will make quite a good impression on hard technical ground compared to everything else out there. Offset fronts will be why to those that can take advantage of it.

My guess it the Lynx and new Ergo will be touch stones just as the original Dart, Quark and Nomic were.

But then I could just as easily be totally full of shit too :)

What is so intriguing about the Lynx isn't so much the dual/mono (while it is a nice thing to have) points from our POV. It is more the ability to use the crampon on a wide range of boots. You are getting two crampons without spending twice as much.

Do you have Trango S and a pair of Nepals? Do you like a slim and trim 'Fruit-Boot' for ice and a larger boot for snow slogs?

The Petzl Lynx has you covered.

And they are in stock! Come on by with you boots and check them out.

Edited by Pro Mountain Sports

So basically after 10 years they updated the M10 and gave it a new name?

Yeah that's what I was thinking about this new modular frontpoint design. Didn't sound new to me since my M10s go mono, offset, and dual - and have replaceable frontpoints.

Some serious missed calculations and mis information posted above by guys who would know better if they had 5 minutes with the Lynx in their own hands.

Huh?

Sorry to hijack your ad here Jim!!!! It's just that this crampon seems so hyped, I'd like to know why I should be excited.

"Huh?"

Nothing personal Mike or Daniel. Comments based on pictures, Petzl ads, speculation or a 2 minute look see at the shop or at OR haven't been very accurate so far.

When a 40 year old Salewa strap on can get you up most anything, ice or mixed, isn't everything a little hyped?

If you think your M10s are a better crampon...that is cool with me. I like the Dartwin more but I am a aware it isn't a "better" crampon.

I think it's interesting that the front half of the crampon is asymmetric - the cluster of secondary points has 3 points on what I'm guessing is the medial side of the crampon, and only two on the lateral. Of those three points, one could be considered a rake point, but on the cluster of two, the corresponding point looks more straight down than angled back. Is this true, Dane?

I see the advantage of the three cluster, but it seems a little silly to leave it out from the other side. I use the lateral rake points when mixed climbing on a regular basis. Not having that option is a disadvantage, in my opinion.

happy to have your thoughts here Mike, seriously!!

Even the old gear if it's good gear will get the job done. We know you love the hype.

don't encourage Mikey. He actually sounded like a responsible family man. You might push him back to his crazy gear whore, hard cascade choss pile sending, maniac again. The mormons have put him in a civil place....for now. :)

Thanks a bunch everyone for your comments. We've been looking at them with

different boots. While it looks like they will fit a wide range of boots

and sizes, we're disappointed they won't fit everything well. Small boots

may have some issues, but hard to evaluate without climbing in them.

Dane, any chance you could make an add-on piece that would attach to the

Grivel Linking Bar so that you could use a Grivel Rear with a Petzl Front?

Certainly a crazy idea.

and Mike, Like Dane (excepting Wayne) you are fast approaching the advanced

age where you will surely need the latest tricky gear.

If Pro Mtn Sports burns down in the really near future...I just want you to know I am going to claim senility, and blame it on the young Dr. in SLC :)

Mix and matching heels and fronts can be done..easy enough but I refuse to do it. Front and rear bails are bad enough.

New boots or new crampons would seem in order.