Penn Gillette on atheism

tvashtarkatena

Just caught a WSJ interview with him regarding his new book on atheism.

"I can't imagine Heaven because I can't imagine a place where I've got more love in my life than I do right now".

(paraphrased)

He also mentioned that a God who speaks in a language than only Michelle Bachmann understands seems a little too complicated.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I can't imagine Heaven because I can't imagine a place where I've got more love in my life than I do right now". (paraphrased)

Someone once said... "the kingdom of heaven is within you..."

Funny how everyone from "Christians" to "aetheists" seem to overlook or ignore this.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” Albert Einstein

I think Einstein would agree that the imagination of this tin pot humorist is rather lame.

I think Einstein would agree that the imagination of this tin pot humorist is rather lame.

:noway:

dude, how much penn and teller have you watched? might as well say "hendrix wasn't a very good guitar player"... sure, might not be your cup o'tea, but his creative "magic" tricks and devotion to comic rationalism and science are unimpeachable

if god does exist, you have no need to worry, i'm sure penn will be sharing a cell w/ carlin, voltaire, adams, etc (which come to think of it, doesn't sound like much of a punishment at all :) )

Is there a place online where we can read a few blurbs from the book?

Basing this on the little posted here.

When someone criticizes God or his followers they sound a lot less like an atheist and more like believers who simply don't like God.

Maybe agnostic is a better title.

Since no one knows everything I think that all we can say is, "based on what I DO know, I believe that..."

Letter to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris

Forty-four percent of the American population is convinced that Jesus will return to judge the living and the dead sometime in the next fifty years. According to the most common interpretation of biblical prophecy, Jesus will return only after things have gone horribly awry here on earth. It is, therefore, not an exaggeration to say that if the city of New York were suddenly replaced by a ball of fire, some significant percentage of the American population would see a silver lining in the subsequent mushroom cloud, as it would suggest to them that the best thing that is ever going to happen was about to happen—the return of Christ. It should be blindingly obvious that beliefs of this sort will do little to help us create a durable future for ourselves—socially, economically, environmentally, or geopolitically. Imagine the consequences if any significant component of the U.S. government actually believed that the world was about to end and that its ending would be glorious. The fact that nearly half of the American population apparently believes this, purely on the basis of religious dogma, should be considered a moral and intellectual emergency.The book you are about to read is my response to this emergency...

Is there a place online where we can read a few blurbs from the book?

Basing this on the little posted here.

When someone criticizes God or his followers they sound a lot less like an atheist and more like believers who simply don't like God.

Maybe agnostic is a better title.

Since no one knows everything I think that all we can say is, "based on what I DO know, I believe that..."

So, since you don't really know about the Spaghetti Monster, you should be agnostic about him too? Interesting.

Or is it that there is no evidence for the existence of supernatural entities (like the Spaghetti Monster) so the question isn't even relevant?

The flying spagetti monster always makes me smile.

Any excuse to get an extra paid holiday gets votes.

Based on what I do know, secular humanism is incapable of answering the questions of origin, meaning, morality and destiny. Any worldview that does not answer these is incomplete. Of course there is no adaptive advantage to having a god-shaped hole in your heart so it leads me to think that there must be an answer outside the secular. All christians want to know is who you think Jesus is/was. But, for obvious reasons that upsets people.

Cheers!