[TR] Burkett Needle - East Arête "Repeat Offender" (FA) 9/11/2011

John Frieh

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His trip sponsors may even require some degree of promotion.

Exactly. Hence the "product placement" shots at the start... that said I have no objection acknowledging the great companies that support the Copp Dash Inspire Award.

I'm contemplating a similar style and wrestle with all the carbon concerns mentioned. As much as I might like to spend a month schwacking through the brush and sitting in a tent on a rainy glacier drinking scotch with a bunch of stinky dudes hoping a weather window will open, it just doesn't square with my other obligations. So smash and grab sounds a hell of a lot better than sitting on the couch. And yes, maybe I should take extra steps before and after a trip to reduce my footprint in other ways.

Same here. I like my climbing partners but I like spending time with my kids and staying employed more... hence this approach. As the classic saying goes "this is what you want, this is what you get"... it comes down to doing the best you can with the cards you were dealt. I do what I can at home to offset my carbon on trips. Since last fall the 20 solar panels on my home have produced 1515 kilowatt hours of energy

Same here. I like my climbing partners but I like spending time with my kids and staying employed more... hence this approach. As the classic saying goes "this is what you want, this is what you get"... it comes down to doing the best you can with the cards you were dealt. I do what I can at home to offset my carbon on trips. Since last fall the 20 solar panels on my home have produced 1515 kilowatt hours of energy

It's nothing but Fast Food Alpinism. Anyone who doesn't refill their ratty styrofoam coffee cup at Tim Hortons every morning, live in the back of a rusty Tacoma and squat for 30 days every spring at Kahiltna International is obviously not dedicated.

CO2 equivalent of 1,515 kWh = roughly 1301 lbs.

CO2 production of commercial flight = roughly 1 lb/mile/passenger

Seattle - Petersburg = 1796 lbs

So, you should more than offset your flight in a year or so. Not bad. That doesn't count the helicopter ride though.

Am I really a hater? I would describe myself as mildly critical and slightly holier-than-thou.