Dwayner the Prophet

pope

In the last few months I’ve had little time to actively participate in what used to be an amusing diversion. Climbers obviously log on to the site for different reasons, but the entertainment value of cc.com has always seemed to be a greater attraction than the quality of information. Let’s face it, if you can’t get up the humble peaks in our range with the enormous amount of information offered in Beckey’s guide, you’re just a pussy.

Has cc.com “jumped the shark”? Some of the evidence identified by Dwayner in an effort to support this notion is less than convincing. While the pervasive references to horsecock have never offended me, they do suggest that a number of participants haven’t yet reached their full intellectual capacity (we must assume). Displays of mental midgetry on this bulletin board have been the hallmark of our bolt-clipping brothers from the beginning, however. What I find to be far more disturbing is the insulting language recently directed toward Dwayner.

Allow me to explain, ‘cause I know most of you think I’m just sticking up for my buddy (which is partially true). Dwayner’s entertaining contributions to this site are of such quality that I feel guilty not paying a subscription fee for the privilege of reading his posts every day. I happen to know a number of people who log onto this site just to read his funny stuff. Some of these guys aren’t huge fans…one of them finds Dwayner’s personality to be too “abrasive”. I’m certain many of the regulars on cc.com have had a few good laughs…..but I’m going to go one step beyond to say that Dwayner is one of the only truly funny regular contributors. Without Dwayner, what do you got? Lambone with his sad strike-out story about being stuck in the tent for three days with a couple of “frigid hotties”? DFA reminding us twice each week that he’s yo-yoed his way up a .13a bolt trail? PP’s mind-numbing attempts to deduce truth from fantasy? Gimme a break!

Dwayner receives a lot of abuse for his stance on sport climbing (so did I when I had time to check in regularly). I subscribe to Dwayner’s prophecy that sport climbing (like disco and indoor soccer) will in retrospect provide for future mountaineers a history lesson in how a noble tradition can be transformed into a ridiculous aberration. That some of you are agitated by Dwayner’s position on this subject is evidenced in the way you direct an undue amount of ridicule toward him. Shame.

If Dwayner finally says, “Adios!” to y’all, I suspect the participation level in the site will remain strong. However, the banter will likely be duller than a butter knife.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pope old pal, ya gotta know, I'm sure you do, that in this cold cruel world you can't rest on your laurels for long. There's a lot more what-have-you-done-for-me-lately's than there are lifetime achievement awards.

I agree wholeheartedly that Dwayner has, in the past, singlehandedly made this site worth reading. But, for some reason, he's apparently hit a writer's block. Colorful tales of Sauna Sow-sage have been replaced by links to a midget's homepage. Where are the brilliant stories, rife with allegory and wisdom, of journeys through the surreal village of "Leavenworth" with his buddy "pope" seeking the ghost of "big Lou"? Instead we are fed recurrent pictorial reminders of his disgust/envy of a current teen idol. It may be hard for you to see because you're too close to the guy, but from this critic's eyes, it appears he might have lost it. The bold style that created the "alpine buddy". The dude that coined "sausage-fest". The merciless pitiful houndings of the "icegirl". Where has it gone?

It's a rough world out there Pope old boy, as that Captain Caveman lookalike used to sing, it's all "gimme gimme gimme", and we want the old Dwayner. Not this new shit.

If you wanna help your buddy and all of CC.com, give that Dwayner something to write about. Do something to bring him out of his doldrums. Help blast that damn writer's block outa there and all over Donna's bag. Call the man up. Drag him out to the hills. Bring some sausage. Give him some inspiration!

We'd all be much appreciative.

Hey I've got a suggestion, GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!!!

While for a while I found your guys antics entertaining now they are just pure irritating and insulting. Here Dwayner bitches about how this site jumped shark or whatever but a lot of his arguement is pure hypocricy. He has done more than his fair share of bashing people let me tell you. How about the email Dwayner sent me about the return of Donna Top Step becaue this site just wasn't "funny" anymore? Christ I'm sorry Dwayner that you aren't having fun anymore, but seriously dude when you start creating an atmosphere that is defaming to women posters what do you think is going to happen? Women climb too Dwayner though if you want we could make this a sausage party. Then the first time you meet me at Pub Club you have the audacity to question my decision with the whole "internet cop" bullshit. Considering how abrassive you were instead of being cool about it I should have told you bite my ass. Does you wife read what you post, wonder what she would think if she did? I wish I had the time that some of you guys did to post nonstop garbagte while I'm working my fucking ass off so I can eat, because you know what I would do? Not be in front of a computer that is for sure. Face it, you guys are here purely for entertainment value and thus will receive little sympathy from me or others. Oh wait, you'll get none. You make it seem like you care about the direction of the content of this site? If you did you would on occasion post beta or trips reports or whatever instead of crapping in sleeping bags and pictures of that Stoppard idiot and the non stop diatribe about bolting and how vantage sucks. You didn't even have the decency to hold back on the thread about Goran's death.

This site is nothing without the users. The content is as good as what the users post. The more people posting info the better. If you want to see this site realize it's potential then post stuff that is usefull to your fellow climbers and the occasional good laugh. If you just want to be an idiot then register lots of screen names and post about crapping in sleeping bags. Or you can just get lost.

Message to The Cool Guys:

STFU !!!

I'd like to remind Dwayner and a few others that the world doesn't revolve around you. When things don't go your way, or if people aren't kissing your asses you piss, moan and bash this website.

If you're so disgruntled with the way Jon and Timmy are running things, why don't you start your own climbing site. I'm sure you could get at least 4 pseudo-intellectual members.

Personally, I think Mike Adamson is one of the smartest and wittiest people I've seen post here. I NEVER heard him bitch and moan about not being Mr. Popular or the center of attention.

Anyway, I'm done ranting. I'll try to tone down my shit and keep it in Spray, because I like it here. You fucks ought to decide if you want bring yourselves down to our level and get on with the good beta and fun. You want to be pompous shits, I say, "seeee ya!".

trask

[ 10-06-2002, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: trask ]

Jeez, fellas, it's Sunday! It's Funday! It's God's In-the-hills-I-Will-Runday!

Everyone take a deep breath and instead of bashing anyone, say a prayer for those that are suffering.

Include yourself (if you ever suffer).

Include Neil Young (When will I see you again?). Include Dwayner (who could use a prayer, while not admitting it....).

Include those that lost a dear friend and loved one in Goran.

Include your family and friends, and all the things that you are grateful for.

I just said my prayer. Amen.

Jon, get a grip! You're beginning to sound like Lambone. You could find a better role model. Nobody's whining about getting picked on, and I certainly haven't criticized the hard work you do, and I don't even agree that the site has "jumped the shark". I'm just sticking up for my good buddy Dwayner, and I stand by what I said: I think it'd be pretty dull around here without him.

Trask.....shut up! Since you don't know how to tie a bowline or put a nut, you're not entitled to an opinion. Go log onto NWTrailhikeringpussies.com. You enjoy what Mike has to say? It's been obvious to me for a long time: Mike Adams=Trask=anybody else who uses the word "tong" on this site. You're fooling nobody, my friend.

Sexual chocolate, this is sound advice. Thank you for your wisdom this morning. What's up with Neil?

quote:

Originally posted by jon:

Hey I've got a suggestion, GET OVER YOURSELVES!!!!! ... This site is nothing without the users. The content is as good as what the users post. The more people posting info the better. If you want to see this site realize it's potential then post stuff that is usefull to your fellow climbers and the occasional good laugh. If you just want to be an idiot then register lots of screen names and post about crapping in sleeping bags. Or you can just get lost.

Right on Jon. However, while this thread is about Dwayner (sort of), these remarks apply to everyone else here too (this point was made in the thread Dwayner started). Dwayner: don't get lost. Come to rope up and have a beer with us. Invite your friend Donna Top-Step if you can.

I think Dwayner starts some good threads, or at least he used too, I have been guilty at laughing at many of them. I'll still give him shit about his attitude towards other climbers, but so what, he dishes out plenty of his own BS. I mean come on...he posts a thread about when this site went down the shitter, and blames it on other people...but then can't take it when someone claims that he is just as much part of the (so-called) problem? Grow up man. [Roll Eyes]

As far as the betta thing...

I think theres lots of good stuff on this site, thanks to contributers who actualy care, or at least just like to chestbeat(more power to 'em). Sure people could get by with Beckys books, or Nelsons Classic guide, or no guide at all. But hey, why not make life easyier by learning from others experiences? Lets face it, most of us who post here are weekend warriors. We only have two days to get up stuff and we don't want to spend that precious time dorkin around with details or carrying extra gear.

Displays of mental midgetry on this bulletin board have been the hallmark of our bolt-clipping brothers from the beginning, however. What I find to be far more disturbing is the insulting language recently directed toward Dwayner.

In every instance of Dwayner catching shit on this website that Dr. Flash Amazing has seen, it's been due to his tactless expression of his ego-heavy opinion. Whether unconditionally and blindly bashing sport climbing, deriding other people's intelligence, ethics, or opinions, or slamming this site, Dwayner gets exactly what he gives.

Your accusation of "mental midgetry" being limited to bolt-clippers is a rather short-statured bit of reasoning itself, and holds no water. There are precious few members of this site (none?) who haven't at least dipped their toes in the ever-tempting stream of name-calling, shit-talking, finger-pointing, everything-bashing, crassly juvenile "humor", and a litany of other idiocies, yourself and Dwayner certainly not excluded.

DFA reminding us twice each week that he’s yo-yoed his way up a .13a bolt trail? PP’s mind-numbing attempts to deduce truth from fantasy? Gimme a break!

DFA hasn't set Sportiva-squeezed toes to rock since he started posting here, so it's unlikely you've been getting this alleged flood of sport-climbing trip reports, at least not from this Doctor. In any case, when discussing routes, names and numbers often come into play. The Doctor tries not to come off sounding too proud of himself for climbing at a certain level (and he knows just how un-special he is), but it would be silly to pretend that he doesn't climb harder than 5.10.

In any case, DFA talks about all manner of shit on this here BBS; probably more about politics and social issues than climbing, and you certainly haven't shown up in (m)any of those discussions. If all you find of value to take in is alpine trip reports and sport-bashing, you're as stale as you accuse other folks of being.

[sNAFFLEHOUND]

[ 10-07-2002, 12:51 PM: Message edited by: Dr Flash Amazing ]

What the hell is this, you guys? Dwayner tries to start a discussion of the personality of this site and after somebody points out that he has contributed to the banter and to the insults on this site it degenerates into three days of name-calling and sniping. "You're the asshole .. no YOU'RE the asshole .... I am not .. are too..."

For the record. I have posted about 15 times on this site in the last year and nothing negative. I am not Trask, I have no avatars, I don't spray on anybody or anything or socialize in the climbing community that graces this website any longer. I am not anybody on this site anymore and I like it that way. It was a humorous work distraction for awhile, but I have moved on. I climb, ski, hike, scramble or do something in the mountains almost everyday which is the real juice not this pathetic bunk. Only reason I'm on here now is because it's 2am, I'm at work and thought I'd see what was up. Seems like nothing has changed. Gossip central.

Take care Eric (Pope).

Mike

That's okay, don't worry about us out here in cyberspace because this whole internet thing is just a fad, I don't think it's going to last. [Wink]

Maybe there's a better conduit for NW climbers to communicate thru but I certainly can't figure out what that would be- the bulletin board at Marmot, maybe? No, wait, there's a bulletin board at REI....