Going under the knife

I am undergoing laparoscpic radical nephrectomy (complete removal of my right kidney) today at noon. As I have an 8 cm renal mass (identified via CT scan) that isn't a positive form of evolution and has resulted in gross hematura (visible blood in the urine). It is probably cancerous, but at this point the doctor isn't sure. Hopefully surgery does the trick (it should) as I don't plan on doing the chemo/radiation experiment...

I just wanted to thank everyone that I have climbed with. Most of whom I have met on this site (thus the post). Especially backwoods, Ivan, danalidave, grinter, and yikes, as well as the rest of the Beacon crowd (at least the ones I have me). I really appreciate it and hope to climb again with you soon! I apologize if this is too personal, but really wanted to post...

Thanks, and take care.

-Ken

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

holy shit 8-ball! makes me paranoid about getting the baby cyst i recently discovered growing on my hip looked at :noway:

you're too grumpy to die man, so stay strong! :)

let us know if you need some help - i'm sure the beacon crowd would be more than happy to find you a blackmarket spare kidney, if need be :P

Good to hear. What was the verdict on the tumor and your prognosis? Objective danger isn't just found in the mountains, is it?

Lab results are not back yet, but doc says he is 99% sure it was cancer. Prognosis is excellent. Just have to check in a couple months ( via xray) that the growth doesn't't reappear elsewhere (highly unlikely). So it is looking good! Now back to my morphine induced haze...

I forgot to mention the coolest part of the whole deal, "Robotic-assisted" laparoscopic, which is minimally invasive and the main reason I may climb again in such a short period (I went home 2 days after surgery):

[video:youtube]

Although I am not a women, I liked this explanation:

[video:youtube]

The surgical system was originally designed for the military...

• 1 month later...

Ken, just saw this thread. I'm glad that you shared and my thoughts and wishes are with you buddy. Hope you've got it licked by now and are on the path to good health!

Better times, warmer clims....

Ken_from_Walla_Walla.jpg

Remember bumping into each other in Vega couple years back?! Woot! You and Jlac at the blackjack table with the hotties dealing, I see Jlacks Prana top and comment, "you dudes must be climbers"...you shout out "BILL COE!!!" I was WTheck? :shock: I apologize again for not recognizing you with a beard! LOL! ha ha ! Good times.