[TR] Hiway 20 Bonanza 9/10-9/11 - Forbidden W. Ridge, Liberty Crack 9/12/2011

telemarker

Trip: Hiway 20 Bonanza 9/10-9/11 - Forbidden W. Ridge, Liberty Crack

Date: 9/12/2011

Trip Report:

I always scratch my head when Wenatchee locals tell me they've never been, "up the Icicle." Prior to this weekend, I would get the same reaction when I told other climbers I've never really climbed in the North Cascades, at least, anywhere West of WA Pass.

So, it was time to change that glaring footnote in my alpine CV.

I originally planned on climbing the Torment/Forbidden traverse, but that was soon thwarted by a noon arrival at the trailhead. With no expectations, I hiked up to Boston Basin to see what I had been missing all these years. I made good time, enough so that I just decided to keep going towards the W. Ridge gullies. Still making decent time, I decided to maybe just go up the western most gully (see Abegg's description), then climb the W. Ridge if time. I hit the notch by 3:30, and decided I had better climb it.

Such a great climb! I was half-expecting choss and looseness on mystery rock, but instead it was solid granite in an amazing location. Incredible. The climbing was over way too quickly. I hustled back to the notch, downclimbing, and was able to downclimb to within two 30 meter raps of the snow. I wasn't to be shorted on the full BB experience, as I was approached by the ranger, asking if I was going to spend the night.

I'll be making a return trip to this area soon!

Then Sunday, it was Liberty Crack with Chris, cfire. He wrote up a brief TR already , so I don't have much more to add other than photos. It was hot out, and I didn't fully recover from the schenanigans from the day before. I forgot how fun LC was. Such a little bigwall feeling right off the road. Thanks Chris for the awesome time up there.

The basin! Everyone knows this shot, except me before this past weekend.

flb1.jpg

And this one. Much more impressive in person.

flb2.jpg

I climbed up the left side of this pillar, dodging rocks from two climbers rappelling back down. Scary location.

flb3.jpg

I kinda like this area.

flb4.jpg

flb5.jpg

flb6.jpg

flb7.jpg

Back to WA Pass. Chris cleaning the first pitch.

flb8.jpg

One of the most efficient climbers I've ever tied in with.

flb9.jpg

Lith Lip air.

flb10.jpg

Chris following the sustained 5.8 pitch.

flb11.jpg

More goodness.

flb12.jpg

flb14.jpg

Taking a moment to reflect.

flb15.jpg

WA Pass, the ultimate multiuse playground.

flb13.jpg

Edited by telemarker

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The alpine lakes region is hard to beat, but WA is full of great climbing. It sounds like the solid climbing on Forbidden has given you a reason to venture out west again? :)

Oh, I'll definitely be back. Forbidden belies its name for such easy access!

East Ridge Direct looks and sounds like an amazing route. North ridge. TFT. So much up there. And I don't have to hike up to Colchuck Lake.