We remember

kevbone

I read about it on the internet before the towers collapsed, which caused me to turn the TV on. Only after i saw images did it dawn on me that demagogues would use it to incite a shitstorm of hatred and retribution. Little did I realize the extent to which our existence would be changed by flag waving and creeping authoritarianism

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, for reasons having little to do with 9/11 and policy responses to it, the nation is more demoralized than at any time since the late 1970s, when, as now, feelings of impotence, vulnerability and decline were pervasive. Of all the sadness surrounding this anniversary, the most aching is the palpable and futile hope that commemoration can somehow help heal self-inflicted wounds.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/sept-11s-self-inflicted-wounds/2011/09/08/gIQAfjm5FK_story.html

Yes Feck, we're back from the shadows again.

Excellent reference, it made my evening.

Oh, and thanks for the link Jim, George Will, while often wrong headed, is usually worth reading. If I had the time and gumption I'd dredge up his columns from a decade ago, I think he may have changed his tune over the years. Interesting that this bastion of the intellectualish right is no longer a cheerleader for our occupations in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Edited by Off_White