[TR] South Sister - Sleeping up top - Climbers Trail 36 9/1/2011

invinciblejj

Trip: South Sister - Sleeping up top - Climbers Trail 36

Date: 9/1/2011

Trip Report:

Last week when the weather cooled off quite a bit a buddy and I decided to tackle the South Sister. While it is more of a glorified hike this time of year. We added some spice by planning on sleeping on the summit and coming down the next day. We ended up heading out on Thursday September 1st at 12:30 and made good time up. Our packs were not too heavy, about 25 pounds each. The route was mostly rock but there was one 100 foot section of snow that was not difficult to cross. Getting to the crater rim took us roughly 5 1/2 hours.

We set up camp in one of the wind breaks on the rim, choosing the one on the eastern side. The wind was blowing about 20 mph and kept that up all night long. It was not too cold and actually got warmer throughout the night. I could tell because I got out to use the restroom and tighten down a loud tent during the night. I was smoky from the fires when we went to bed but clear when we awoke. We could see up to Mt. Rainier in Washington and Mt. Shasta in California.

We messed around a bit on the summit in the morning and heading down around 10. It took us 3 hours to get down and we passed 50+ people going up. Overall it was a fun trip even though I did not get as much sleep as I like. If you want to read a more thorough trip report with a list of some of the gear I took with me, it is at my site here:

YMMV Reviews

Sleeping_on_the_S_Sister_Summit_-_Tent.JPGSleeping_on_the_S_Sister_Summit_-_Summit.JPGSleeping_on_the_S_Sister_Summit_-_Feet.JPGSleeping_on_the_S_Sister_Summit_-_Small.JPGSleeping_on_the_S_Sister_Summit_-_North.JPG

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic