gun-nut question

freeclimb9

Since the beginning of this year to bring a gun into Canada, you fill out a Non-Resident Firearms Declaration Form at the border, pay $50CAN, then get a 60 day permit (renewable up to 12 months) that lets you buy ammunition. Most handguns and all automatics are prohibited. Ordinary rifles and shotguns are considered "non-restricted".

I've pretty much settled on a Remington 870, or a Mossberg 500, since there's a lot of aftermarket parts for them including a folding stock (that doesn't prevent reaching the trigger, BTW).

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way back when I needed a bear gun, the 870 was the better pick over the 500, based on the highly scientific "shake test" - shake 'em both and see which one rattles the most and then buy the other.

[ 10-06-2002, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Poseur ]

quote:

Originally posted by Poseur:

Way back when I needed a bear gun, the 870 was the better pick over the 500, based on the highly scientific "shake test" - shake 'em both and see which one rattles the most and then buy the other.

The Remington 870 is probably a superior weapon overall. However the Mossberg 500 is a bit lighter as the receiver is aluminum, versus steel for the 870.

quote:

Originally posted by Fairweather:

quote:

Originally posted by Poseur:

The Remington 870 is probably a superior weapon overall. However the Mossberg 500 is a bit lighter as the receiver is aluminum, versus steel for the 870.

Re: the 500 and extreme cold, could there be some potential problems due to the dissimilar metals in this configuration? Also, make sure you leave it "dry" after you clean it; as in, no coating of gun oil as it will cause stickiness of action in cold weather. I'd go pump in real cold weather.

Me and my "PA" hunted with remington 1100's for 20 years in extream weather never seen one jam. Love that 10 second barrel change and 60 second cleaning. You could go from deerslayer to trap gun in 5 seconds [Cool]

I had an 870 kinda cool jack'in shells like on tv but it did not even come close to the swing and accuracy of that 1100.

Is it climbing season yet? what's the Bag limit on sporto's ? There known to have little wee wee's so is 3 inches a spike or a trophy [big Grin]

Trad only climbers must come under endangered spices. [Roll Eyes]

The Alpo's are scrany and bone'y... kinda like [sNAFFLEHOUND] too tendon-u-we and hard to clean.

12 ga. folding stock is the best of both worlds. You can go with the pistol grip but for the folding stock can allow you to pop a few grouse if in the back country and not have to worry about wrist problems from over use. Make sure you get the gun from a shop or a gun show or from someone that you are sure has not screwed with the barrel length. If I remember my federal firearms regs the barrel has to be 18 1/2 inches long. Just call a a good gun shop or go on line to verify this rule.

Stay from a rifled barrel because its meant for slugs solely. Smooth bore will allow you to shoot bird shot, BB sized shot(actually best for anti-human defense...reason more shot and it tears up the perp better), buck shot, and slugs(I'd go with sabbot slugs even in a smooth bore). The best bang for the buck is Mossberg.

Go big or go home...

-

"The Barrett Model 82A1 rifle gained worldwide popularity after pioneering the return of shoulder fired big-bore rifles for shooting enthusiasts. As a result of its unique operating cycle, the M82A1 easily fires the largest commercially available cartridge in the world, the .50 caliber. Yet, the Barrett M82A1 develops the lowest recoil force of any comparable rifle.

The M82A1 operates on the short-recoil principle. Founder Ronnie Barrett adapted this operating principle to a shoulder fired rifle. The recoiling barrel and bolt assembly acting against innovative spring and buffer assemblies replace the sharp recoil impact with a longer-acting lower recoil force. To further reduce the recoil load, the M82A1 is fitted with a dual chamber muzzle brake. The muzzle brake redirects high velocity gun gas to lower recoil by almost 70%. The net effect is a rifle with the felt recoil of a 12-gauge shotgun.

With these time-proven methods and innovative designs, the Barrett M82A1 offers safety, rugged durability, and reliability to the big-bore enthusiast."

Yup, safety, durability, and reliability. There's your happy killing machine.