gun-nut question

freeclimb9

I always thought that for shotguns, the rifling is on the slug, not the barrel. Have there been some great new technology developments in the last few years that I've missed?

What do you want protection from, bears? If so, I'd go for a 12ga pump with slug barrel. As for folding stocks and other "goodies", you should make sure they don't hinder grabbing the gun and using it quickly -- simpler is better when it comes to defensive gun use.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

survival gun: AR15 with a sniper scope [Wink] that is if the game shoots back or you plan on tameing that bear at a distance.

Remington 12ga semiauto with a mix of slugs and 00buck

You don't need that rifleing shit, it's just hype.

A 12ga slug will go through a car, 00buck will clear a house. [Eek!]

Slugs good for 50 yards 00buck good for 25 yards or less.

Happy hunt'n [big Grin]

I'm not a gun nut, but I play one on TV....

Our firm does forest surveys in Alaska - since I assume you are looking at a bear attack scenario - the standard load for (firearm-trained) backcountry workers is a 12ga with alternating slugs and 00 buck. Anything smaller is trivial as far as a grizzly is concerned. One of our contractors emptied a full clip from a 9 into a bear a couple of years ago and only annoyed it prior to the bear filleting his partner's leg - fortunately, the drop helicopter was 5 minutes away.

Of course, taking prudent preventative measures will avoid a bear encounter in most cases. In reality, if said bear is within gun range and coming at you full-bore (i.e. sow surprised in the bushes), the odds of you dropping it (or even hitting it) prior to it mincing you are negligible.

"bear spray, lighter and cheaper, and I'm willing to bet more effective"

Since both a gun and spray require the calm and luck to have it in hand for proper usage, personally, I'd rather go with something that has stopping power, a blinded enraged grizz is still enraged after all.

I dont remember whaT BOOK it was, but it had a story about Scott Fischer and his friend heading into the bush in AK. The two talked about what they were going to do if they ran into an aggressive bear. Scott said they would fight it off with their ice axes.

His partner jokingly agreed. They did end up confronting a bear and Scotts partner started to run, he glanced over his shoulder and saw Scott removing his ax from his pack. Cool

Bear spray. I'd die of fright before the bear got in the 30' range. That stuff works better for road rage incidents.

I want a shotgun. Besides buckshot and slugs (probably saboted), 12 gauge shells come in ferrets (tear gas), bird bombs (explode), rubber slugs, flares, strung balls (buckshot held together with wire that cuts flesh very effectively), or dragon's breath (shoots out a 30' flame). The rifling of the shotgun barrel (gives about 25 yards more accuracy (about 100 yds).

I need it to work in very cold temps. A semi-auto is preferred, or a pump action. What models will work in the cold?

Winchester Ranger .30-.30 cal lever gun. 33 inches overall length and under 6lbs. 5 shots in the magazine. I know this is a marginal caliber, but it beats the hell out of ANY handgun incl. .44mag.

Stoeger "Coachgun". 12ga side-by-side; the theory being that you'll not likely get off more than two shots from a pump-gun anyway, so why not go with two virtually simultaneous shots from a double barrel? Use 00 for bears; #4 for the "other predators" out there.

My two cents.

I'd like to get a large bore "survival gun" with the ability to operate in sub-zero temps (but a multi-shot capacity is preferred).

I recall seeing 12 gauge, foldable stock, sawn-off shotguns for bush pilots when I first visited Alaska. Is there something commerically available? The Ithaca 37 Deerslayer Storm with a shortened barrel might be the ticket --especially with a rifled barrel that they're giving away till New Year's. Other ideas? (BTW, a handgun is not an option since I'd like to go to Canada).

This will be a tool for Polar bears. From what I've read, you see the damn things a long ways off unless you're in broken ice, or don't have a dog with you. With a pump action gun, I can have half a dozen loads with the first few being non-lethal deterrents like a siren, a flame thrower, a bean bag, then the buckshot and slugs. There are a bunch of load possibilities with a shotgun, so that's why I'm going for a 12 gauge. Plus, it will be handy for my new job:

-

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

I'd like to get a large bore "survival gun" with the ability to operate in sub-zero temps (but a multi-shot capacity is preferred).

I recall seeing 12 gauge, foldable stock, sawn-off shotguns for bush pilots when I first visited Alaska. Is there something commerically available? The Ithaca 37 Deerslayer Storm with a shortened barrel might be the ticket --especially with a rifled barrel that they're giving away till New Year's. Other ideas? (BTW, a handgun is not an option since I'd like to go to Canada).

maybe pussies like you should just stay in the utah.

Back a while ago crazyjz and I talked about bringing a gun, for bears, on a climb up north. We didn't end up bringing one, but if I remember right bringing a gun to Canada is a little complicated. You can do it, but make sure you check if the gun you want to buy is ok in Canada before you buy it. Some types of shotgun/riffle are banned.

A couple of friends of mine work as customs and border officials, one at Sumas, the other at Christina Lake. They love it when folks from backwoods Montana come up with their trucks filled with all sorts of assault rifles and the like, having no idea about gun laws in Canada. Yes, Alaska where in some parts there is a Grizz for every square kilometre an encounter is going to be almost unavoidable (but why the fuck do ya want to go backpacking on sandbars next to salmon choked rivers anyway unless you really want to HAVE to bag a bear?)

But for most places in BC if you need a gun to stop a bear you've already done something wrong like not made enough noise or cooked steaks and salmon for dinner!