Alpine Partner and Mentor

PsychedWill

Howdy, my name is Will Eslinger, I just moved to Seattle from Chattanooga, TN. I was a trad climbing addict at the Tennessee Wall, but I wanted more, I wanted to climb mountains.

So now I live in Lynnwood, with the Cascades just looming over the horizon. I really want to climb in them, but I need someone to climb with.

I'm not the most experienced alpine climber. I left Chattanooga in early July and I spent the last two months on a self-taught crash course in alpine rock in the Winds, Tetons and Northern Cascades. I've learned a lot, but I want to learn more and do more ambitious climbs.

So if you like to get it done in the alpine, be it for rock or ice climbing, peak bagging or skiing, really anything involving those mountains and going upwards, and you'd be willing to take on an extremely enthusiastic and hard working apprentice, then please, send me a message. I'd love to talk about climbing possibilities.

Peace.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump.

Come on folks, I will belay you in the shittiest weather after the shittiest approaches you throw at me, I'm a fast learner and I have alpine experience that I self-taught this summer. I want to alpine climb more than anything else in life right now. I've just not lived where it is possible. I went from leading 5.7 on gear in Chattanooga to 5.10 at Index in less than a year. Please ive me a chance to show you that I will be a worthy addition to your repertoire of alpine partners.

Make belays not war pardner

shame i don't live in seattle as solo-aiding pisses me off most days :)

will be happy to overlook the curse of your volunteer blood this summer, when i'm apt to be up your ways a bunch - in the meantime, if you have a hankering to wander down the portland way i'll be happy to take you out to beacon or hood or the like...

Bump.

Come on folks, I will belay you in the shittiest weather after the shittiest approaches you throw at me, I'm a fast learner and I have alpine experience that I self-taught this summer. I want to alpine climb more than anything else in life right now. I've just not lived where it is possible. I went from leading 5.7 on gear in Chattanooga to 5.10 at Index in less than a year. Please ive me a chance to show you that I will be a worthy addition to your repertoire of alpine partners.

Make belays not war pardner

Don't take it personally. If you scroll through my posts, you'll find a few unsuccessful solicits looking for a winter alpine mentor. It's easier to find partners for summer objectives when it's less serious.

I finally had some luck with partnerfinder on mountainproject.com... but If I didn't have a relatively strong skill set (in the rock realm) to contribute to the partnership, he probably wouldn't be interested in taking me in for more alpine (snow, ice, mixed)-type objectives.

One other bit of advice you didn't ask for... don't get impatient by finding a dangerous partner. The cascades in winter are unforgiving and bad partners can easily get you killed.

Although I can't offer a mentorship because i'm broke and my time is valuable, feel free to pm me questions about climbing out here... it takes some figuring out and I have ideas for beginner winter routes if you're interested.

Good luck PsychedWIll!

One other bit of advice you didn't ask for... don't get impatient by finding a dangerous partner. The cascades in winter are unforgiving and bad partners can easily get you killed.

Excellent advice.

A successful climb is one in which you return from. It will take some time to find someone you click with where you both can bring something to the table. One that can push yourself beyond your perceived limits safely. The mountains will always be there.

Hit the crags, gyms, take some classes join a club, go on a hike w/ someone from a mssg board..whatever. You never know who'll you'll meet and what they have to offer. Baddasses come in all shapes, sizes and ages.

The Mountaineers is a great organization for people who want to meet other climbers. I met my wife there, as well as a couple other friends way back in 76 and we still climb together.

There are flakes in the Mountaineers, as with any large organization, but tons of very good climbers as well.