Aconcagua 2012

Icescrewhold

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested. Same question regarding details of guide service and cost, specific range of dates? Have all requisite gear, plus few extras if needed by other team members. CV: Several 14-ers, comfortable with glacial travel; winter conditions; ready for next step. Toxicology background for trade, comfortable with managing acute mountain sickness.

I think there is nothing wrong with using a guide service but having done a trip to this peak myself I'd say planning your own climb would cost a lot less than the 3,225 a guide service would cost. If you want them for route knowledge, safety, companionship it might be well worth your while but if you are hiring a guide service because you think 3225 is way cheaper than doing it yourself you are way off in your thinking. This is meant respectfully. I think the logistics of something like an 8000 meter peak could make the guide service a huge asset in terms of simplifying things but Aconcagua is really not that complicated from a logistics point of view.

I don't know the exact current costs of things like permits, a mule and a few nights at the hotel nutibarra but I can't imagine a do it yourself would be more than 2000 each (sans airfare). We did ours for probably in the 1000-1500 each range but it was a few years back. This is for the basic trip items like (permit, mule, 4 nights hotel in Mendoza; 2 on either end, fuel, food (mostly purchased locally), and maybe 4 days of local meals in town) There are obviously some other odds and ends but these are the big items for on the ground costs that would be included in the guide service. Either way, best of luck to you

Edited by hydroman

This is true, but I have the cash, but really no time to plan and coordinate this climb. Mostly I am trying to get it done within a tight timeline (looking for other people who are in the same situation). Unfortunately, This is the best way and I friends who have done Aconcagua and one who used this local guide service. Anyway, thanks for the advice:-)...

What is the guide service you are considering?

I have researched a lot of them, and I have waivered back and forth on the idea of a guide service vs. independent climb. I know I could do it cheaper, but I think in this case a service might be worth it because it saves you a lot of hassle with logistics. There are some companies that you can pay to only support you logistically up to base camp, leaving the climb itself up to you. They will cover lodging, transportation, mules, and food in basecamp. That way is cheaper than a full guided climb but you still get most of the advantages logistically in a foreign country.

• 8 months later...

To all those who are still concerned - the summit was fantastic and I met some really amazing people while in Argentina. I want to thank the Muleters and the people I tented with at 21k during the nasty storm - you know who you are and wow!!!

Anyone up for denali in 2013? Late may or early june???? hmm...