Trad gear in carry on bags when flying?

Quarryographer

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't put your nut tool or knife in with your gear, and you should be ok. I try to get all the heavy stuff in my carry on, so that my check-in bag will be under 50 pounds, and I won't be charged extra. They will usually look at your gear after it goes thru the xray, but thats just standard proceudre. Just don't put your nut tool in your carry on, or you will have it confiscated!

I took my rack on the plane few times - never had any problems. They will typically make you unpack it fo inspection though (I was explained that it obscures the X-ray so they are concerned not about the rack, but what can be hiding behind it).

Since I found out, I always proactively unpack it and just send it through x-ray machine on a separate tray.

I think worst case scenario you can always check in your bag (in case they would try to confiscate the whole thing), but I never had to use such option. From what I was told, they see at least few bags with gear a day (at least in Seattle), so it's not like they've never seen climbing gear before...

• 2 weeks later...