Application of Windstopper fleece jacket

watermill

Hello !

I would like to hear your opinion about my understanding of application of Windstopper fleece jacket. If you wear Windstopper fleece jacket then you should have ordinary (Polartec Thermal Pro High Loft, or similar) fleece jacket in your backpack in case weather get really cold and wet or snow storm is coming, so that you can change your Windstopper jacket to Polartec fleece jacket and use it as a middle shell in combination with a hard shell jacket.

Is my opinion correct ?

Thank you.

P.S. I'm talking about weather conditions in Alps region.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love my Windstopper fleece jackets. They are nice because they actually do cut the wind, unlike normal fleece jackets. Plus they tend to be lighter weight both physically and thickness. I have found that they don't need to be as thick as others to equal the same amount of warmth.

I think you want to think about layering in different categories. I have a windstopper soft shell in my pack for dealing with wind. And for insulation I have a Mont-Bell ultralight down layer that I can stuff under or over. It's a whole 12 ounces and has a hood. If you believe you need windstopper, than get the lightest one/least insulated one and take another lightweight layer for insulation. I usually don't carry a lot of fleece anymore.

My 2 cents.

It seems to me the main point of a windstopper fleece jacket is to replace the traditional system of a fleece and a windproof/waterproof shell (maybe not the water proof part). If that's the case, why would you carry another fleece? Also, most windstopper fleece layers aren't waterproof, so if the weather in the Alps is anything like here you are most likely going to bring a waterproof shell along, especially this time of year. I see no advantage to having a windproof fleece layer around if you are also carrying a hard shell jecket.

Basically, just get a good fleece and then get a leightweight, waterproof shell. It will serve you much better in the long run, at least that's my opinion.