[TR] The Brothers - Midnight Couloir 8/6/2011

Schaef

Trip: The Brothers - Midnight Couloir

Date: 8/6/2011

Trip Report:

Grade III, Class 5.3, Midnight Couloir

[/b]Detailed stats from Suunto Watch: http://www.movescount.com/mymoves/edit/move2685359#route

Video of trip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhQbynuPX6E&feature=player_embedded

Chason and I ventured out in the misty Olympic mountains to climb the Brothers. Taking an adventurous route through the brush rocks and snow we gained clear skies above the clouds with some unexpected guests.

Trail ends at base of avalanche field. Ascend left over ridge to large snowfield with two prominent bolders at base. Standard rout Crosses snowfield find trail at approx 3400 ft. Midnight Couloir route ascends left side of snow field into steep brushy couloir. In summer ascend 800 vertical feet of brush to base of steep rock walls. Traverse right to corner system in cliff (waterfall in early summer). Good bivy spot here. Ascend less steep rock bulge 5.3 move unprotected. Can set up belay in horizontal cracks above to belay second and haul packs. Ascend heather and good 4th class rock to top of east ridge. From top of ridge connect to standard route trail, ascend upper snowfield above the hour glass. Scramble on solid rock to summit.

Descend standard route snow fields.

Gear Notes:

8.5 60m Rope

Small Rack Just need a few small cams for an anchor

Clothes you don't mind getting shredded in the brush and or sewing kit.

Ice Axe, Crampons

Approach Notes:

Hike 3 miles to Lena Lake, cross log bridge follow around right to Brothers trail through valley of lost men at approx 6.5 miles. Find large camps at stream fork. Good bivys higher before avalance area.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trip: The Brothers - Midnight Couloir

Route Topo:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/plab/showphoto.php?photo=69325&title=route-topo-for-midnight-couloir-route-on-the-brothers&cat=504

Date: 8/6/2011

Trip Report:

Grade III, Class 5.3, Midnight Couloir

Detailed stats from Suunto Watch: http://www.movescount.com/moves/move2524492

Chason and I ventured out in the misty Olympic mountains to climb the Brothers. Taking an adventurous route through the brush rocks and snow we gained clear skies above the clouds with some unexpected guests.

Trail ends at base of avalanche field. Ascend left over ridge to large snowfield with two prominent bolders at base. Standard rout Crosses snowfield find trail at approx 3400 ft. Midnight Couloir route ascends left side of snow field into steep brushy couloir. In summer ascend 800 vertical feet of brush to base of steep rock walls. Traverse right to corner system in cliff (waterfall in early summer). Good bivy spot here. Ascend less steep rock bulge 5.3 move unprotected. Can set up belay in horizontal cracks above to belay second and haul packs. Ascend heather and good 4th class rock to top of east ridge. From top of ridge connect to standard route trail, ascend upper snowfield above the hour glass. Scramble on solid rock to summit.

Descend standard route snow fields.

Gear Notes:

8.5 60m Rope

Small Rack Just need a few small cams for an anchor

Clothes you don't mind getting shredded in the brush and or sewing kit.

Ice Axe, Crampons

Approach Notes:

Hike 3 miles to Lena Lake, cross log bridge follow around right to Brothers trail through valley of lost men at approx 6.5 miles. Find large camps at stream fork. Good bivys higher before avalance area.

Edited by Schaef

Where did you get that topo from? It is definitely not the route that I submitted as Midnight Couloir. Here's the photo I sent with my description to the Olypic Mountain Guide. It shows up in your picture as the shadowed couloir to the left of the standard route. When I hit the ridgeline, I bivied. The next morning I traversed forever along the ridgeline to the summit. It really looks like you did route #2 of the South Peak based on the old guidebook that I have.

[img:left]http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/plab/data/504/310mid_Couloir.JPG[/img]

• 2 weeks later...

Route clarification.

Looks like the route we climbed was Route 2 on the South Brother not Midnight Couloir.

Climbed directly up broad open meadow (two large boulders at base of snowfield). This is the crappy bushwhacking section.

Break through the ridge on the north side short section of 5.4 to 4th class mixed with heather ramps until you connect with the upper snowfield, follow to summit blocks (some 4th-5th class).