Missing summit registers

Dave A.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, but we were wondering the same thing Saturday. We discussed it and just came to the conclusion that ours was a first ascent. Who else would do a 20 min hike with some easy 5th class to a hunk of rock you can easily see from the main road?

So we named it. Wolfords Wall. Buddy has a perfect name for the biggest route once it gets bagged: Timetraveler Buttress. LOL

Now we need a summit register to validate the name:-) LOL

"Leave no trace" is the usual hypocritical cop-out.

This has been an ongoing issue. Why someone would deem themselves so important that they can erase decades worth of history in one selfish action is beyond most with any common sense. Of course, you'll never hear anyone actually admit they are the ones doing it, probably because they know it's wrong (or they know all their friends will realize what an ass they are).

If you are talking the summit can being missing, that's probably a LNT advocate, but if it's just the piece of paper, that may have been relocated to a museum or archive.

I don't understand why people kick over cairns (ducks) either, but there it is. I don't know anyone who does and I've never witnessed it, but clearly some people do.

Summit registers that are at max capacity can be taken to the UW Library. You can actually go down to the library and view summit registers from times past (that is, if it didn't get stolen).

A summit register cannister can be made from pvc tubing and end caps (one of which should be glued on to prevent moisture getting in). I keep one in my pack now with a weather-proof notebook and a pencil to replace any registers I find missing.

Sadly, for a while several rangers in various districts and National Parks were taking them. Thankfully I believe they've stopped this practice.

Why were they doing this?

Getting back at the people that were skipping out on paying the NW Forest Pass fee... :whistle:

I climb Mt. Washington (Oregon) quite a bit and always like looking at the past entries in the summit register. Back in 2002 I climbed it in mid-summer and noticed that people were writing their summit entries on receipts and other scraps of paper. So about a month later I hauled up a professional 300 page log book and an ammo can with some slings attached. That day I proposed to my girlfriend on the summit. I diedicated the register with a brief summary of the climb and my love of the mountains.

About a month later a friend of mine was on the summit on a busy saturday and watched an unknown person say something derogatory about summit registers just before he hucked it off the 1500 ft drop on the south side.

Some people just suck!

I climb Mt. Washington (Oregon) quite a bit and always like looking at the past entries in the summit register. Back in 2002 I climbed it in mid-summer and noticed that people were writing their summit entries on receipts and other scraps of paper. So about a month later I hauled up a professional 300 page log book and an ammo can with some slings attached. That day I proposed to my girlfriend on the summit. I diedicated the register with a brief summary of the climb and my love of the mountains.

About a month later a friend of mine was on the summit on a busy saturday and watched an unknown person say something derogatory about summit registers just

before he hucked it off the 1500 ft drop on the south side.

That's mess up. I would have a hard time biting my tongue if I saw that. Some people only see there views on the mountain and it pisses me off. I thank you for taking a nice registry to the summit.

Some people just suck!

Edited by chris54

I don't understand why people kick over cairns (ducks) either, but there it is. I don't know anyone who does and I've never witnessed it, but clearly some people do.

I kick over pointless cairns, the same way we remove painted arrows pointing toward the entrance in a single-passage cave. I think cairns are awesome when the trail is ambiguous - otherwise, they're fucking ridiculous. I don't like seeing fire rings all over the mountains either.

Although I'd never remove a summit register, the one on the summit of Thompson Peak in the Sawtooths (Idaho) last week was a shit show - it is obviously now a Geocache site, as there was a bunch of trash and other bullshit trinkets in there. I really wanted to clean out all of that nonsense, go to the geocaching site, and post of photo of how fucked up their little scavenger hunt game has become - trash heaps should be removed, and if you saw it, you'd believe it was littering. On the other hand, my partner found a note he wrote and forgot about, Ten YEARS prior! So cool! So yeah, leave the legacy, remove the rubbish, that's what I say!