Dave7

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
Seems like a neat cause to me.

What's the "cause", exactly?

All I got was that a married couple wanted to climb a bunch of climbs and ran out of money....

Not to be cynical, but back in the days of my road-trips, running out of money meant going back home and working for a bit.

Now if there is a "cause" that I'm not aware of, perhaps I'll feel differently!

Seems like a neat cause to me.

What's the "cause", exactly?

All I got was that a married couple wanted to climb a bunch of climbs and ran out of money....

Not to be cynical, but back in the days of my road-trips, running out of money meant going back home and working for a bit.

Now if there is a "cause" that I'm not aware of, perhaps I'll feel differently!

Seems like they are the cause. I would not say your cynicism is misplaced on these two

Your donation will be wisely used to cover the many expenses of the Committed. From transportation to permits to editing, it adds up quickly.
Edited by num1mc

I guess I should have used a different word than "cause". I thought that there might be some folks out there that had some extra change that could donate to a goal that seems pretty cool.

yeah, i think the term "cause" is usually applied to aiding people in distress.

I'd recommend sending any extra monies one has floating around to the Seattle Children's Hospital.

Or St. Jude Hospital.

Edited by Kimmo

Mark Smiley here. My wife and I are doing this huge project for a number of different reasons, none of which is to benefit a non-profit cause. Rather, to help inspire other couples to get out and adventure together.

We are not trying to get other people to simply pay for a posh road trip where we charter flights on a regular basis. We are trying to cover the expenses of the jounrey where we are filming experience, and putting a lot of energy into making quality videos of climbing in the alpine realm. Its hard, fun, work. And you have to admit an alpine climbing video is a nice break from the sea of bouldering videos...

If someone only has $100 to give away, for example, then I fully support giving it to a Childrens hospital. But if someone else has $135 to give, then $100 to the hospital and $35 to the Project would be great!

I can say I've met the Smileys and they're cool people working on a pretty neat project. No need for negativity as far as I'm concerned. It'll be cool to see somebody get all 50 classics ticked...but nobody's making anybody contribute...so...

I will say that the Kickstarter approach to things is pretty cool. You at least get something directly in return for your donation - a guided trip or some pictures...or whatever the creators can come up with. The Jeff Lowe Metanoia and Wings of Steel projects have both been pretty cool.

Mark Smiley here. My wife and I are doing this huge project for a number of different reasons, none of which is to benefit a non-profit cause. Rather, to help inspire other couples to get out and adventure together

Insert gag reflex here

It'll be cool to see somebody get all 50 classics ticked..

They won't.

Edited by num1mc