Eagle Creek Canyoneering

tele turnin

Has anybody ever descended the watercourse of Eagle Creek starting above the high bridge? I've done my fair share of canyoneering on the Colorado Plateu (Zion, Moab, Escalante, etc.), and just want to know how feasible it would be to "canyoneer" down Eagle Creek. I've hiked the trail a few times with the wife and kid and on our last trip the water still looked a little high. I've found this beta:

http://www.canyoneeringnorthwest.com/Eagle_Creek.html

But would like to hear from those that have done it so I can maybe plan a trip. I'm relatively new to the area (just over a year), but have already had my fun climbing Hood a few times, skiing Adams, climbing Rainier, and feel that this is a worthy next objective. Thanks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like fun. I've never done any canyoneering and I'm wondering how you keep your gear and rope dry. Or do you just let it get soaked? If so is there any benefit to using a dry rope, or does immersing it still get it soaked?

Edited by pcg

shit, go do it and write a tr!

i really just might and am considering taking some dinky inflatable raft for the last part after the last set of falls. i just need to convince the wife that it's nothing compared to the darby ice caves in wyoming i dragged her through. maybe here in a few weeks when med-school gives me a chance.

This sounds like fun. I've never done any canyoneering and I'm wondering how you keep your gear and rope dry. Or do you just let it get soaked? If so is there any benefit to using a dry rope, or does immersing it still get it soaked?

i've never been canyoneering in anything this wet, but in the past we have done our best to keep our ropes dry with drybags, being smart, etc. hauling a wet rope is no fun, those things double in weight in no time.

My friends just did it yesterday. They had a blast. They just jumped all the waterfalls, and rapped the last big one. They had a 70m, and still had to rap off the end into the pool. Go get it!

where did they start at? we are thinking of starting at the falls above the high bridge. i think one rap there and one at metlako will be all that is needed. did they use wetsuits, or find the water warm enough to go without?

• 2 years later...