Massive Rock Fall on Serpentine Arete

TurinTheLost

I was up in Leavenworth for the last few days and heard from some climbers that were up on Backbone ridge that there was a MASSIVE rockfall on serpentine arete. That would have been on monday the 23rd. The fall was due to huge winds.

Thought people should know. I would be curious to know if the rockfall significantly changed things up there. At very least there is probably some more very loose rock up there. Be warned!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was up in Leavenworth for the last few days and heard from some climbers that were up on Backbone ridge that there was a MASSIVE rockfall on serpentine arete. That would have been on monday the 23rd. The fall was due to huge winds.

Thought people should know. I would be curious to know if the rockfall significantly changed things up there. At very least there is probably some more very loose rock up there. Be warned!

Wow. Thanks for the heads-up... hopefully someone can check shit out and report with specific details.

Do you mean Monday the 22nd or Tuesday the 23rd? I climbed that route on Sunday the 21st. While there was the standard loose rock on the route, I don't recall seeing anything out of character.

We headed out on Monday (the 22nd) and I do recall seeing a nice rock slide coming down near triple cols (left of backbone).

Do your friends have any pictures of the snow field afterwards?

Monday the 22nd, my bad. It was when the weather was moving in and had pretty consistently strong gusts of wind. I just met the guys and can't even remember their names.

They made it sound like the fall was directly on route because they said anyone on Serpentine would have been crushed. But it sounds very likely that what you saw was what they were describing.

Well, its still possible that there was a big rock fall on Serpentine, I had taken off before the winds picked up and the storm came in. I am sure that if the people you met were on Backbone, they know where Serpentine is.

Scary for sure. I hope no one was on route, and I am certainly glad I had done it the day before!