[TR] Mt Lincoln - route 2 8/21/2011

Drederek

Trip: Mt Lincoln - route 2

Date: 8/21/2011

Trip Report:

After attempting Mt Lincoln by route 3 a while back in poor visibility (at one point I was 150' from the summit but could not see it) and bushwacking down a creek back to the Skokomish trail I decided to do the smart thing and go up the class 2 route so I'd know the "easy" way down for future outings. The day started well, hiking up the Skokomish trail a few miles to an unmarked offshoot up by the Beaver burn. This trail was nice enough to begin with but it has obviously not been maintained for quite awhile. Still it was a trail and moved upwards so I was content to hop the occassional log and beat my way thru 10' tall seedlings to continue. After a mile or so the trail disappeared in a gully with nasty little slide. A quick break for sunscreen and drink then I decided to head up where ever it looked easy and hopefully regain the trail higher up. While I never did find a human trail, after a bit of suffering and many logs and slides the route became obvious, following a broad ridge, winding through pillow lava towers and finally hitting a mini plateau with my goal at the far end. I was feeling very tired at this point but the seeming nearness of the summit lured me onwards. 30 minutes later I picked out a nice little bouldery route up to the top. I began to review my descent options. Mildred lakes were very close but a long way to my truck that way. Back whence I came but the idea of swimming over all those logs and sliding down those slides was not appealing. Dropping down toward Mildred lakes and finding a way over to Gladys divide almost got my vote, maybe next time? Back down route 3 seemed a bit more feasible although the 80' of 3rd class up to the ridge was enough to make me not want descend that way the last time and its 8 miles from Flapjack lakes to the truck so that left the bushwhack that I didn't care for last week as my "best" option. With the horrible visibility the last time I blindly followed the creek into all sorts of bad places and some extra distance. So being able to see saved me a lot of effort and knowing to keep bearing right made it "better". Stumbled by great little crag with bullet hard rock, no moss to speak of and 20' of overhang in 50'. I'll never find it again but I'd be happy to steer someone in the right direction. Hit the Skok trail 1 mile from the parking lot and got to my truck after a great 10 hr day. That hour in the middle really made it all worthwhile, the best dog route I've done by far.

the trail

mtlincoln_013.JPG

the towers

mtlincoln_028.JPG

mtlincoln_042.JPG

mtlincoln_044.JPG

the summit view

mtlincoln_045.JPG

the wildlife

mtlincoln_051.JPG

back along the route

mtlincoln_057.JPG

me n lake cushman

mtlincoln_061.JPG

Mildred lakes

mtlincoln_072.JPG

Mirror image Chain Reaction

mtlincoln_079.JPG

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool, I've often eyed that spur trail off the main Skok trail, thanks for scouting. Sounds like overall it's pretty much a non-tech slog up to the top.

Any idea if a route over towards Wagonwheel would make a good exit?

Edited by PhilU