Getting into the sport - gear? training?

Topoftheworld

I've climbed Mt. Hood and Adams this year and have really enjoyed those trips. I want to get into the (snow) mountaineering sport - honestly, I would love to get into some steep technical climbing on glaciers.

What's the best way to get gear but at a lower cost? Is buying used ok?

I've seen some organizations offer minor classes like 'crevasse rescue' which are cheaper than the extended course like 'basic mountaineering' which can cost $300. Has anyone taken these short/minor classes? Do they offer enough knowledge/experience to feel comfortable on the mountain?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with buying used axes and crampons. Lots of old school (heavy) stuff out there. I bought a pair of Salewa hinged crampons in great shape on eBay for $12 to have on hand for friends to use. I already had the exact same pair that I purchased from REI many years ago so I knew what they would fit and how to adjust them.

You can pick up used pickets in the Yard Sale forum here, but I lost patience waiting for some to show up so I bought new. I was leary of buying used ice screws and personally wouldn't buy a used rope unless I could be convinced it was in good condition and that would be hard to do.

I took the Mazama $75 crevasse rescue class last winter and felt it was well worth it. I read all I could first and set up C and Z pulley rigs in my yard before taking the class. You'll get a lot more out of the course if you do that. I also set everything up again and practiced in my yard afterwards. I'd like to go up on Elliot Glacier on Mt. Hood and practice some more if I can get two or three others to come along.

One of the most useful things I learned was how hard it is to climb up over the edge of a crevasse while prussiking and I'd like to practice that again as well as I never figured out a good solution.

Anybody want to join me on Hood later this fall to practice crevasse rescue and rope management, setting pickets and screws, clipping through pro, etc.?

Edited by pcg

Anybody want to join me on Hood later this fall to practice crevasse rescue and rope management, setting pickets and screws, clipping through pro, etc.?

If you wouldnt mind teaching me how to set each of those pulley systems I would like to join you on Mt Hood. Always down for some learning.

Other things I wouldn't go used on are a harness an helmet. You can get both for reasonable prices and like a rope these things are your lifeline.

Go look at Second Ascent in Ballard. Great place to find used and clearance, packs, clothes, boots, rock shoes, etc. You might able to find a lower price on here, craigslist, ebay, etc. but it's hard to beat being able to try and on and fondle the gear before you buy something. Good folks there also know their sports and could provide good guidance.

It's a slightly different story of course if you're buying from a friend whom you have complete faith in, and know the full history on a piece of gear, but I think that as a rule of thumb, if they sell it used at Second Ascent, then buying it used elsewhere is probably fine. If they don't than I would be a little wary.

If you wouldnt mind teaching me how to set each of those pulley systems I would like to join you on Mt Hood. Always down for some learning.

I'll PM you after the weather colds colder - too much rockfall coming down the Elliot right now.