[TR] Mt Adams - South Side/ SW Chutes 8/18/2011

benb

Trip: Mt Adams - South Side/ SW Chutes

Date: 8/18/2011

Trip Report:

With hopes to find some nice turns in the South West Chutes, I headed out of the parking lot at 05:30. Out of eagerness to get my skis off my pack and on my feet, I found snow that made for frustrating skinning at 7,500ft. After lack of traction on the pre dawn snow, the going got much easier when the sun took the edge off. It was starting to work out.

The going was good. There is a bulge in the pitch leading to the false summit that I had to boot pack. With that short section as the exception, I skinned on up, arriving at Pikers Peak at 11:00

The going from Pikers to the summit was tough. Sun-cupped, wind-blown, runneled out, chicken heads. I was able to stay on top of the madness going both up and down by traversing and kick turning. It looked easier than walking, but it was not much fun.

After a nice break on the summit, I cruised down to check out the SW chutes. I was happy to see the snow was relatively good. The conditions were great. There were actually way more turns that I could put together without a break. The bottom 500ft of the chute was runneled out but negotiable.

The traverse back to the south side trail was straightforward. I strapped my skis back onto my pack at about 7,700ft.

Back at the car at 05:15, pumped to get some mid August, high alpine turns.Nt

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...