Axe Crampons Stuart WR/CC right now?

Rootsman

Wondering if anyone has been up recently, we'd really love to leave the snow gear at home if possible...

Thanks

(Edit to add)

If anyone else is interested, I did find a TR on TAY that has a bit of a conditions update in one of the responses to the OP.

http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=21627.0

but this beta is getting a bit stale...

Edited by Rootsman

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

That is our trip report there from last week. We definitely needed both ice axes and crampons - first for crossing a steep gully right below Long John's Tower (frozen, hard snow), then to cross a snow field on the way from the true summit (exposed steep slope) and also for the Cascadian Couloir which we were descending in the morning when the snow was still hard.

Here is a direct link to our report:

StuartViaWestRidge-600x526.jpg

Update...

As of Tuesday, we were able to bypass all of the snow fields on the way up, but still had to downclimb the snowfield below the false summit. My partner had an ice axe, I used a ski pole with the basket off, and we were able to kick steps without too much trouble. The snow was pretty soft by the time we were on our way down, so I don't think that crampons would have been useful even if we had brought them. Early in the day they might be nice, but probably not necessary as there is a pretty good line of steps developing in the snowfield.

Edited by Rootsman