Leavenworth Scrambles?

Twiggs

I just happen to be eating scrambled eggs at the moment, and it made me laugh. Anyway, I will be camping in Leavenworth with the wife for a week, and would like to introduce her to some easy/moderate scrambles. I don't know the area well and would like to know if anyone had some thoughts or a guidebook to recommend. I am mostly looking for done in a day endevours (because of the permit lottery thing). Help me move the spouse into class 3! :P

Thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorites, and my first as a youth, is Little Annapurna. It's a long day, but I did it 2 years ago and was out before needing a headlamp. It takes you past Colchuck Lake and into the upper Enchantments...great views. P1030286.JPG You might be better off easing into this with shorter hikes and build up...depends on how adventurous your wife is. Just up to Colchuck Lake or up Asgaard Pass might be enough. Good luck!

Mt. Cashmere is a good one. Mt. Stuart is not really a day hike from the Leavenworth side, and is strenuous from the Teanaway for a noob. Mastiff and/or Howard leaving from the Merritt Lake trailhead would be a good introductory scramble. Wedge Mt. is one of my favorites,fantastic views into the Enchantments, but finding the trailhead can be a little iffy for some people.Grindstone Mt. off the Chatter Creek trail is fun, the road closure adds a few extra miles but it does give your body a chance to ease into hiking before you start uphill. All in all I'd say Mastiff or Wedge would be the best intoductory scramble.