[TR] Mount Rainier National Park - Paradise - Muir - Nisqually Chute - Paradise 8/15/2011

mr.radon

Trip: Mount Rainier National Park - Paradise - Muir - Nisqually Chute - Paradise

Date: 8/15/2011

Trip Report:

Had a great day today. Woke up early to get out to Mount Rainier National Park to ski the Nisqually Chute. GPS Data

Packed up the car:

IMG_0075.jpg

Drove to the Nisqually park entrance, headed to Longmire then the windy road to Paradise. Awesome drive, almost no traffic...enough said.

The windy road to Paradise was a dream, I need to figure out how to keep the skis from banging into the shoulder on those hard right turns. :rolleyes:

IMG_0121.jpg

Once at Paradise I pulled out the skis, had a few weird looks. Suited up and made it to Camp Muir in 3 hours flat (in tennis shoes too). More weird looks from the climbers with boots, ice axe and crampones on as I cruised past them in tennis shoes. Yes I got wet feet...

My Alpine Touring skis were in the shop so I grabbed one of my good downhill ski/boots and hauled them up.

At Muir I shared a couple of beers :brew: (see the others chill'in in the background)

IMG_0086.jpg

with the Mount Rainier Climbing Ranger. It was my friend's last day this year at the park as a Ranger, he's heading to some 'stan country to do "hard core" climbing. Hope he doesn't get kidnapped. I met him on Denali in 2002, we made the summit of Denali in a horrible storm, awesome climber. He was down below so I left the "on duty" Climbing Ranger the beers.

After about an hour nap

IMG_0105.jpg

I got my 5,000' mid AUGUST ski descent, skiing the Nisqually Chute

Was able to get within 250' of the lower parking lot. Its been a super cool summer and a heavy snow pack=SNOW EVERWHERE! Walking back to the car I saw another Z06 in the parking lot! :tup:

I brewed up a cup of coffee with a portable stove behind the vette while I waited for the snow to dry on the gear. More weird looks and a few questions from people walking by like, "Is that really your car?", "Are you really going to put skis in that thing?", "Are you watching the car for the owner?" :noway:

IMG_0119.jpg

I packed up the car, finished the cup of joe and headed out. Well who pulls behind me? The Z06. :tup:

IMG_0123.jpg

He followed me for about an hour, till I pulled off to go North and home. The rest of the trip went great. Got about 9mpg driving to the park, 30.4 driving home.... :lmao:

Gear Notes:

Downhill skis...wish I had my AT gear...

Approach Notes:

Tennis shoes...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic