Conditions On Shasta 8-18 -11 ?

powdermonkey

Planning on going up Shasta next week to make a few turns. We were thinking of going up Avalanche Gulch. Still looks like a good amount of snow from the webcams. Anyone been up there lately? We have never been on the mountain. Would one axe and one whippet per person be good for this route? Any other current info appreciated.

Edited by powdermonkey

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went up Avalanche Gulch yesterday.

This site has the most accurate info & the ranger on the phone was extremely helpful:

http://www.shastaavalanche.org/advisories/advisories/climbing-advisory

While we were on the mountain on Tuesday, approximately 20 people summited via the AG route. Most camped at Lake Helen. We stayed at the Horse Camp with its fresh water & cozy toilets :) We went right of the Heart and up/down the left chute in the Red Banks. It was uneventful. Misery Hill was mostly snow free except for the top part. We used crampons above Lake Helen and took them off after the Red Banks.

My friends glissaded down below the Red Banks. I worked on my boot skiing in the glissade tracks. I don't think it is worth carrying up skis now though I'd love to try one day with more snow.

At night, in the tent, I heard some rock fall perhaps near Casaval Ridge. One group reported seeing rock fall but not on our climbing route.

For me, the best part was enjoying the summit alone for awhile.