Platypus Big Zip - the big winner

layton

I'm really picky about my hydration system. So after a couple leaky bottles, I think I found the winner: Platypus Big Zip 100oz.

Osprey system not reviewed since I haven't used it and it looks heavy and I hear it leaks

Platypus Big Zip

Pros: Detachable drinking tube that has a swivel and doesn't leak. Large zipper to fill water, add ice, and clean/dry. Hold 100oz. On/Off valve. Light.

Cons: Same as every other bladder - the L shaped "ergo" bite valve. I hate these, make them straight damnit!!!! Very tall for small packs.

Bottom line: not the best (too tall and bite valve too big/L-shape snags on everything)but the best option.

Camleback Antidote - the big loser

Pros: Light (platypus big zip still lighter), holds 100oz, detachable hose (see cons), looks cool. Flexible material.

Cons: L-shaped port, on/off is flimsy, bite valve comes off easily, .... AND IT FRIGGIN LEAKS. Yes that's right. I've gotten two and both leak at the detachable hose. All my packs have had tons of moisture at the bottom and after screwing around I've found that if you torque the hose at the port, it leaks. Both ones I've tried.

Bottom line: Worthless POS with a big ad campaign.

MSR Dromedary and dromlight

Pros: light, durable material. Comes in large sizes

Cons: no 3L version. Bite valve is enormous and L-shaped. Nothing easy to hold it open to fill = spilling. Awkwardly shape for most small pack hydration sleeves. Must have it facing out or it pokes in your back. Need to buy drinking tube separate = expensive!

Soft Bottle Review:

Nalgene Wide Mouth (not a drinking tube system)

Pros: light, packable water bottle that holds 2 liters

Cons: It leaks

Bottom line - worthless

Platypus soft bottle

Pros: same as above

Cons: small opening

Bottom line: at least it doesn't leak, but could use a wide mouth opening.

Platypus Water Tank

Pros: light and easy to fill for lots a water (1-2 gallon)

Cons: for something like this, I'd want at least a 10 L version.

Platypus Wine Bottle:

Pros: holds alcohol without having plastic leach into your drink, packs your alcohol up nice and compact. Wayne and I put some really high proof drink into a regular platypus once and it tasted like paint thinner by the time the plastic leached into it.

Cons: could hold more :)- A zipper opening would be nice to clean it better.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have used the same dromedary for over ten years. Sun faded but still works like a champ. A couple crampon holes patched with small dab a seam grip still leakless too.

I took off the little flip top spout thing and put on a regular cap though. Always felt that something would open the flip top during walking motions.

never really got into drinking hoses though.

Gotta disagree on the Platypus. Had a couple of them, none of them lasted long before they started leaking.

The final straw for me was having a brand new 100 oz bladder (exact same model as your top pick) blow a leak on the approach to Prusik. I had used for it a sum total of four hours when it started leaking.

I think that the Platypus plastic is brittle and cracks way too easily for my taste. Obviously, opinions differ.

Mike - I've only used the older Camelbak Omega bladders, never the Antidote. I can imagine how the removable tube would be a bad idea. Makes cleaning easier but as you've observed, an easy opportunity for leakage.

One option would be to permanently glue the tube in place using food grade RTV silicone. You can find it on the internet for a few dollars a tube and it is probably available at hardware stores as well (I've never looked for it so can't say for sure...) Silicone is pretty flexible so I'd think that this would be a very long-lasting if not permanent solution that you could always re-seal with more silicone if it sprang a leak down the road.

I am pretty hard on gear but the Camelbak bladders have been the most durable of the options you listed in my experience. Threaded fittings on Droms always loosen and eventually leak due to the hose moving around as I climb, and you know my position on the Platypuses.

I will test the RTV silicone idea out when my current bladder fails in a few years and I have to replace it with one of those Antidotes. If it is a bad idea, sorry - I wish that I could give you a proven solution instead of a random idea...

After having several platypus/msr and camelback byte valves loose essential parts or disappear entirely while in use (possibly due to high speed bushwhacking on skis or mountain bikes) I recently picked up a dakine byte valve which I am using with a hydromidary and feel this is close to the ideal combination.

The dakine valve is better designed then any other valve I have used, it offers a 45 degree angle, longer barbed connection to the tube, on/off switch and no parts that easily snag or fall off (so far).

The hydromidary offers a tube connection separate from the screw on lid so you can drink while you pump water with an msr filter and more easily suck the last bit of water out of the thing.

Had my Platypus for 10 yrs and no problem. Only reason it sprung a pin-hole lead is some big guy sat on it!

New Camelback leaked on first trip! Plus the dang Camelbacks taste like I'm drinking liquid plastic - WTF? Back to Platypus.