[TR] Baker N. Ridge Climb/Ski Recon and CD ski - N. Ridge, Coleman/Demming 8/6/2011

ajjenkin

Trip: Baker N. Ridge Climb/Ski Recon and CD ski - N. Ridge, Coleman/Demming

Date: 8/6/2011

Trip Report:

Cross post here...

8/6 Baker N. Ridge climb Coleman ski, car to car

Brandon sums it up well in the short write-up above. We didn't ski the N. Ridge, but if we would have I think it would have taken 3 rappels with the 50m we had to get down the ice step. V-threads would have been a little dicey unless you were willing to really dig a lot to get into some better ice. Bollards might have been best. We were planning on using V-threads btw, but at the base of the ice-step we were set on skiing the CD to exit so we did not build any rappel stations to return too. Also, buyer beware here, I felt that a "seasoned" skier could have possibly side-slipped (with ax in hand) the normal route up the ice step around 2-4 pm given the conditions we saw at about that time. Maybe I'm being a bit aggressive with those thoughts, but many people would have at least felt ok with down-climbing it sans rope in the conditions we had. Regardless, the rest of the route would go on skis right now with careful crossing of several cracks in the "secret passage" area, below the ice-step and above the apron, and at the 'schrund below the apron. The 'schrund is wide open across the entire base of the apron making for exciting climbing and most likely mind-blowing skiing.

Gear Notes:

4 screws

2 pickets

50m floss

Approach Notes:

Do the standard route, then head left at 7,800'. Takes you past the base of the Roman Nose.

Edited by ajjenkin

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you and EW had a similar trip a few years ago? I looked up the tr's from the north ridge on your site today to try and figure out what shape the step was in when you went down it. Given your descriptions and photos, perhaps it is in better shape now? Feeling some shoulda, woulda, coulda if ya know what I mean.

Yeah, been on cc for a while, but rarely feel the urge to post....probably because its rare for me to do anything noteworthy!